Comedy Industry Stats

Hi

I wonder if somebody will be able to help me - I'm doing some research for the owner of one of the biggest chain of live comedy clubs in the UK and I need help with the below. Does anybody know the answers or where I could get this information please.

According to [name], the UK live comedy market was worth £ million in 2012 and has grown by [y]% since [year]. The UK live comedy market is expected to grow to £ [z] million by [2015] due to.....

Thank you so much!

Jayne

<3

According to [name], the UK live comedy market was worth £ million in 2012

Re: first part, there was a 3 part documentary series, called "Funny Business", on the BBC a few months ago that may possibly have given these stats.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/funny_business/

Sometimes you can find transcripts of TV shows such as the above online if you're lucky.

Wave

I would be cautious about using those numbers, honestly. The live comedy landscape is so poorly unregulated it is absolutely impossible to get an even close to accurate figure. Any number you find I would be incredibly wary of. Also, as the live circuit has been declining over the last three years it is more likely that your growth % will be a negative number. Audience numbers are down generally and the majority of newer opening clubs are open mics and budget comedy, which don't really add a large ammount to the financial worth of live comedy.

Anything you find will be entirely speculative.