Help in remembering

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 5:24pm [Edited]
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Greetings from across the pond! I am in need of help from someone in finding out just what programme I saw bits of back in the 80s. It was on PBS, so could have been broadcast in England as far back as the 60s.

Here is what I remember: There was a condemned building, maybe 2 or more stories high, that was being torn down, but had stopped for some reason, and people were living in it. There was one wall of the building missing, as I recall. I also seem to recall the demolition process was about to resume and the people living in the building were doing what they could to stop it.

I hope there is enough info here for someone to tell me what programme it was so I can get it and ease that part of my gray matter that hangs onto scraps of memory, and bugs the heck out of the rest of the brain! I thank all who can help.

shaggy292

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 5:28pm
  • London, England
  • 1,736 posts

Was it actually a comedy?

zooo

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 5:34pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 69,201 posts

Are you sure it wasn't that film with the little aliens?

Aaron

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 5:36pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,746 posts

Batteries Not Included.

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 5:58pm [Edited]
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Oh boy that was fast! Let me answer in order posted. Yes I think it was a comedy, not The Young Ones (I have them already), Not a film as I was catching the episodes as they aired, and not Batteries Not Included as I have that film. Also not Rising Damp.

shaggy292

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 6:05pm
  • London, England
  • 1,736 posts

Any familiar faces?

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 6:21pm
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Hi Shaggy, nothing I can remember, but it was a long time ago and I think I only saw 3 episodes of it. Seeing as how PBS was the only one broadcasting BBC stuff at the time, and my work schedule (second shift) it was a real hit and miss deal.

Alfred J Kipper

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 6:47pm
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,363 posts

Hmm, a guess that fits the 80s comedy serial info and to a point the other stuff - the large building is set to be demolished but without putting the DVD on, I'm not sure if a wall was actually knocked down, I think it was saved at the last mo but they could've started on the lodge, if it rings a bell I'll have a look for you. Blott On The Landscape?

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 7:21pm
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Hi Alfred, just want to say I watched it in the 80's, it could have been broadcast in GB from the 60's up. Having only seen 3 or so episodes of the program I have very little to go on as to the full plot. I looked up The landscape, and it seems to be a recent program. Nothing rigs a bell in my head as to the why or how the building was being torn down.

Alfred J Kipper

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 7:41pm
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,363 posts
Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 4 2013, 6:47 PM BST

Blott On The Landscape?

Sorry, it got split into two lines. 1985 broadcast, BBC, 6 eps. Briefly, a politician wants to sell his country house to make money from a new motorway but his wife won't let him. Still not sure about the wall but some other buildings get demolished and the SAS are sent in. ?

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 7:58pm [Edited]
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Oh man now you have done it!!! I went to YouTube and watched a short video of that, was not the one I am looking for...but darn you, now I want to watch that one!! I watched Blott's Pub Band and it sold me on it right then! I am thinking the one I am after was set in the city, as I sort of remember other buildings next to the one being torn down.

Aaron

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 8:27pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,746 posts

Do you recall if the series was colour or black and white?

Redleg

• Sunday 4th August 2013, 9:36pm
  • United States
  • 10 posts

Hi Aaron, can not remember, but then again I can't remember if the TV set was B&W or colour...go figure. Hi horseradish, it was TV