When did Last Of The Summer Wine get rubbish?

Hello there.

I am a huge fan of Last Of The Summer Wine, it is one of my all time favourite shows. When it started it was a truly outstanding, well acted, well written and hilarious comedy and it remained so for about 10 or so years. Around abut Foggy's last series before he left the first time it started to go downhill for me but still remained decent until Foggy left for the second time and Truly replaced him. Then, following the death of Compo, the show became totally unfunny.

What are other Last Of The Summer Wine fans' views?

I think you're pretty much spot on there.

It got rubbish at about Series 29, when Russ Abbott came into it, it just ruined it for me!

Quote: G180e @ August 4 2013, 6:57 PM BST

It got rubbish at about Series 29, when Russ Abbott came into it, it just ruined it for me!

Didn't he play the character who had that red pickup truck and was from Hull?

Quote: David Smith @ August 4 2013, 8:42 PM BST

Didn't he play the character who had that red pickup truck and was from Hull?

No that was Burt Kwouk, he played Entwistle. Russ Abbott played Obbo the milkman and was introduced in the 2008 new year special.

Quote: G180e @ August 4 2013, 8:43 PM BST

No that was Burt Kwouk,

Woahey...Cato!!

I think we'd have to discuss this series by series, otherwise we wouldn't be doing the question justice.

Around about the time Brian Wilde left first time around.

Foggy's pomposity was one of the cornerstones of the show, without it the dynamic really didn't seem to work.

After Compo passed away and Foggy left the 2nd time it seriously went down hill. I like Frank Thornton but he wasn't a good fit to replace Foggy. Wesley died. They shifted focus to Howard and Marina. Then Smiler and that Horrid Tom. They cut back drastically on Cleggy, Nora and Ivy. After Nora died we got her "sister" who was rubbish. Entwhistle was amusing in small doses and I did like Alvin, but Hobbo?? Hobbo was the stake in the heart of a once great show.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 5 2013, 1:08 AM BST

I think we'd have to discuss this series by series, otherwise we wouldn't be doing the question justice.

Fair enough, we shall.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 5 2013, 1:08 AM BST

I agree with that.

We can acknowledge there were classic times mainly based around the Foggy series but. . . I have been known to have a titter at some of the later ones especially the development of Howard and Alvin.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 6 2013, 12:35 AM BST

I agree with that.

We can acknowledge there were classic times mainly based around the Foggy series but. . . I have been known to have a titter at some of the later ones especially the development of Howard and Alvin.

The series went massively down hill for me with the introduction of Howard and Marina

Quote: Kyle @ August 3 2013, 5:43 PM BST

Around abut Foggy's last series before he left the first time it started to go downhill

In a tin bath?

Yes - if you watched it regularly you probably were more aware but having only watched repeats after about series three I like OR can watch odd episodes and enjoy them. The constant addition of new characters probably stopped it getting too monotonous.

When did it get good? I've only just discovered this show. I found the first episode of the 14th season, an absolute pisser.

"There wouldn't be a trickier street to defend as this. A bit of a tactical problem. It wouldn't be at all easy to hold against a determined enemy."

So now I've gone back to the first season and I'm not getting into it without Foggy.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ August 7 2013, 12:39 PM BST

When did it get good? I've only just discovered this show. I found the first episode of the 14th season, an absolute pisser.

"There wouldn't be a trickier street to defend as this. A bit of a tactical problem. It wouldn't be at all easy to hold against a determined enemy."

So now I've gone back to the first season and I'm not getting into it without Foggy.

The first 6 series are brilliant, particularly Series 3 and 4. They were the show at its absolute best, IMO the highlights being a two part story in Series 3 when the trio go on holiday to Scarborough, and Foggy visiting his Welsh lady friend in Series 4.