Carry On Up The Jungle

The Carry On team send up the Tarzan tradition in great style. Lady Evelyn Bagley mounts an expedition to find her long-lost baby. Bill Boosey is the fearless hunter and guide. Prof. Tinkle is searching for the rare Oozalum bird. Everything is going swimmingly until a gorilla enters the camp, and then the party is captured by an all female tribe from Aphrodisia.

This one is brilliant. Nice to see Frankie Howerd, Terry Scott and Jacki Piper in this film. Another great film from the gang.

What do you think about this film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAXc37I_Tg

I was typing Carry on Forever on Youtube and I found this. It's behind the scenes of the 1970s film Carry on Up the Jungle. I enjoyed watching this, interviews with the stars.

The entire 3-part "Carry On Forever" series is being repeated on ITV3 at 7pm on Boxing Day from 4:55pm to 8:00pm.

Being stuck in deepest, darkest Wales with no broadband I probably ended up watching most of the Carry On films over the Christmas period. Even the weaker ones (and I'm afraid I'd probably include Jungle in this category) are well worth watching again. Only saw the final part of 'Carry On Forever' but does make me want to seek out the earlier episodes even if I'm probably familiar with the history.

Finally managed to find time to get back to my Carry On box set, and this one was next. Oh dear.

Very few laughs. So desperately needed Kenneth Williams in this as he would have been ideal, and not sure about Terry Scott as "Tarzan"; BUT, the thing that perturbed me was Bernard Bresslaw, fully blacked up with wig etc. speaking some gibberish Africanese to the black actors playing the bearers - SURELY, even then someone should have said "This is not right!"

Different times Herc.
It says K Williams turned the role down as it clashed with other work

I was also reading that the highest paid actor in the carry-on's was Phil Silvers £30 grand apparently.
It caused some acrimony with the cast.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th June 2021, 11:04 AM

Different times Herc.

I was also reading that the highest paid actor in the carry-on's was Phil Silvers £30 grand apparently.

Was always perplexed when I caught a glimpse of the Black and White Minstrel show on prime time Saturday night BBC TV - never understood why it was on the box.

I like Bilko, (one of my other huge box sets I am finally getting to the end of), but that money is just obscene and he didn't bring much to the film anyway. No wonder the others were pissed off.

That's more than me.
Phil Silvers is a legend but this film is pretty crappy and I'm amazed they got away with the Blackface even then. Still, not as bad as Carry On England. I never got the love for the later Carry Ons anyway - just churning out formula.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th June 2021, 11:04 AM

Different times Herc.

I'm not surprised it did, that would buy you six average priced houses then, but it was all hurt luvvies' ego rather than genuinely underpaid afaik. KW was constantly moaning about the low pay and Sid was doing his own product placement deals like the one with Johnnie Walker whisky in Again Doctor but according to Carry On sites most of the male leads got 5 grand a film (way more than most people earned in a year) and Williams apparently 7. If they invested it in houses they'd've been very rich and even if they didn't they would never have been hard up.

The trouble with the Carry on films they show on TV these days is that they are very heavily censored.
A lot of the 'rude' jokes and innuendo's are totally missing.
I watched 'Jungle' a few weeks back from a streaming service and it was the un-edited version.
I didn't know it was until I heard a few ripe and close to the knuckle lines that I didn't remember from previous viewings.
And it was all the better for it.

I'm watching these on DVD, of course, so no censoring problems there.

That does remind though, going totally off topic (sort of). Many years ago, ITV showed "Play Misty For Me" (SUPERB film, by the way!!) when Clint Eastwood's stalker, who up until then had been just a big fan of is radio show, got arsey when he said he didn't want her to remain in contact with him (not verbatim - summat like that) and she shouted "F**k you!!". They bleeped the word and totally ruined the moment as it was at that point you realised she was unbalanced and it was going to go all pear-shaped from then on.

Don't think I've spoilt the film :D , as it does get better and has a cracking ending!!
!

Reading the Trivia Notes that are with each film in the box-set, and I see that Jim Dale was wanted for the part of Tarzan, but declined it and he was not invited back for another film until the last one in 1992.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th June 2021, 8:50 AM

BUT, the thing that perturbed me was Bernard Bresslaw, fully blacked up with wig etc. speaking some gibberish Africanese to the black actors playing the bearers - SURELY, even then someone should have said "This is not right!"

Well whenever I've seen it, even recently, it's never come across to me as anything other than innocent silly fun, part of a running joke of using their own regular cast for playing all the parts. BB had already browned up in Khyber and redded up in Cowboys. I see no intentional harm in any of it and if anyone thought there was, they wouldn't still be shown regularly on TV.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th June 2021, 11:49 PM

Reading the Trivia Notes that are with each film in the box-set, and I see that Jim Dale was wanted for the part of Tarzan, but declined it and he was not invited back for another film until the last one in 1992.

They suggest he would've been involved in the others but Dale was already a very busy and successful actor on stage and in musical theatre.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th June 2021, 7:16 AM

They suggest he would've been involved in the others but Dale was already a very busy and successful actor on stage and in musical theatre.

Maybe, and yes he was; but then why did he star, so to speak, in the ill fated Carry On Columbus.

Also, I read somewhere that Rogers and Thomas were easily upset if things didn't go their way and would hold grudge for years.