Carry On... Up The Khyber

Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond looks after the British outpost near the Khyber pass. Protected by the kilted Third Foot and Mouth regiment, you would think they were safe. But the Khazi of Kalabar has other ideas.

Roy Castle was in this Carry On film but no other Carry On films. I think this film is very funny but it had its down moments too. Angela Douglas was very good in this film and Terry Scott was fantastic too. So a classic for me and great laughs too. Laughing out loud

But what do you think about this film?

A decent Carry On film but not personally one of my favourites.

Just to add a second voice...

'Khyber' is one of the best Carry Ons in terms of production values and script and is probably the best known. Great acting from everyone - including Angela Douglas- who appeared in five films I think - and Roy Castle who replaced Jim Dale at short notice - hence only the one film.

He's actually excellent and probably could have had a good acting career had he not gone into dancing and trumpet playing.

Certainly one of the best if not the best Carry On. The scene with the dinner and the attack going on around them is genius.

Isn't that when Joan Sims says "I have got a little plastered"?

Probably just about the best but Cleo gives it a strong run for its money. For me they're neck and neck. That long dining scene may be the clincher but Cleo's gags I think are better, Williams is much funnier as Caesar and it has Jim Dale in. And the crumpet's better. Neck and neck, it's Cleo one day Khyber the next.

A great, fun and witty Carry On film.

I watched this on Netflix & now I'm being recommended things with Robin Askwith in.

What, like the Confessions films, Steve?

Confessions of a Netflix User

Watched this from my box set rotation tonight, and really enjoyed it, and like the fact they got away with "Fakir off"

The best bit for me though was Peter Butterworth and his state of panic at the dinner table when the fort was being attacked - so funny. I think he is underrated as a comic actor.

Not by me.Only 59 when he died too.

Not by me either.

In Carry on Abroad I loved that he did a Spanish accent by just putting 'ings' at the end of every word.

Oh, I'm on me own then. :( Yes, died too young - married to Janet Brown I believe, the impersonator when that sort of thing was at its height on TV.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th November 2019, 7:49 AM

Not by me either.

In Carry on Abroad I loved that he did a Spanish accent by just putting 'ings' at the end of every word.

Ha ha yes.