Big School Page 3

I hadn't read any of the previews or seen any of the trailers so went into this not knowing what to expect.

I do think that having such a big and strong cast doesn't necessarily improve this show. Phil Glenister seems completely miscast and there isn't enough for the likes of Jo Scanlan to do. David Walliams simply does a Frankie Howerd impersonation of course.

This is obviously intended to be broad (apparently next week's episode is much broader still) and the characters are not believable. This would be ok if the show was genuinely funny but the script was so-so.

I will give it another go next week though as it wasn't terrible.

Very dated comedy, what's their goals on life? No goals, then it's a sketch show.

Also opening scene, he is about to leave then stays for a girl. After David steps on her foot she says: don't worry I have another foot. This is the exact line opening from The Job Lot, he is about to leave and an attractive female starts work so he stays, then he hits a girl in the boob and she says, don't worry I have another one.

BBC and ITV sort your comedy department out will ya? WHAT ARE WE PAYING FOR? Get some heart and realism into comedy, grow some balls and stop going for cheap gags. There must be better scripts out there? Every comedy seems to be middle class trying to take the piss out of the working class. They have no clue, lost in money. I don't think these people have even stepped into a supermarket. PEOPLE DO NOT ACT LIKE THAT, THIS, YOUR PROGRAMME MAKES ME FEEL STUPID WHEN I WATCH IT. Give the audience something to do, STOP SPELLING OUT THE JOKES.

Cleaned up a little bit by moderators for atrocious grammar.

I was a little disappointed, truth be told. With the cast what it is, I was expecting some great dynamics. Some parts got me giggling, mostly all of Frances de la Tour's reactions, but I didn't think they used the cast well enough. I mean, these are people who have starred in some incredible roles over the years. But, half way through, all that was running around my head was David Walliams dressed as a lady and Joanna Scanlan in bed with Sue Perkins (don't ask me why...). It was only the first episode though so I look forward to seeing the next few.

Perhaps also the theme song is a little offputting. It made me feel like I was supposed to feel sympathy for the teachers who are forced to work in a school where the kids are not interested, but it was confusing because it didn't fit with the juvenile comedy.

Quote: james bream @ August 19 2013, 9:31 PM BST

opening scene , he is about to leave then stays for a girl , after david steps on her foot she says: don't worry I have another foot . This is the exact line opening from joblot, he is about to leave and an attractive female starts work so he stays, then he hits a girl in the boob and she says , don't worry I have another one.

That looks a lot like a knowing in-joke to me.

OH GOD OH GOD OHHH GODDD

MAKE IT STOP

SWITCH ITTTTTT OFFF

this is awful

It stinks

Bloody awful guff

Quote: MCharsley @ August 20 2013, 12:53 PM BST

That looks a lot like a knowing in-joke to me.

Knowing in-joke? For one you do not do an in-joke on your opening scene completely copying another another comedy's opening scene. Plus where is the JOKE? Oh ha ha ha I have already seen that joke hilarious, if I wanted the same joke twice I would have Sky+ed it.

Get rid of the names and it might have been ok. The names thing they are bigger than the show, I bet the director doesn't even direct them....Oh ha ha ha they have funny let them do what they want.

Had its moments but the caricatures are going to wear thin pretty quickly.

So far so good. The characters are growing on me, though the headmistress could do with another facet or two. The spoof of a "Voice" set for the music master's contribution to the school talent competition is superb.

Yes it is "old school" comedy, but with modern references it is relevant to a large audience - and watched by 3.6 million up against some tough Friday evening competition.

Well, they're trying aren't they. I did laugh a lot more in this recent episode, but they set up some great potential with the other teacher's sign ups but didn't follow through. I was really looking forward to seeing the racism poetry, but then all we got was Joanna Scanlan in makeup, major tease that was.

Not the sort of show I'd usually be interested in, a bit too obvious, but I've seen the first two episodes now, and it certainly had some merit. Walliams is particularly good as Church, and the rest of the cast doesn't put a foot wrong with its somewhat pedestrian script. Glenister's character confuses me, he just looks a bit old for the role, and his accent doesn't seem to be from any part of the world I'm familiar with; however, he's pretty good with it anyway.

Quote: BenS @ August 24 2013, 4:07 PM BST

Well, they're trying aren't they. I did laugh a lot more in this recent episode, but they set up some great potential with the other teacher's sign ups but didn't follow through. I was really looking forward to seeing the racism poetry, but then all we got was Joanna Scanlan in makeup, major tease that was.

No points for 'trying'. Shouldn't be trying if they have been given a series, it's the BBC not YouTube. Get this shite off our TV and put some real talent on.

Is Catherine Tate playing David Brent?!

Managed to catch episode two, the first 15 minutes I really enjoyed but as soon as the talent show started it became very thin and weak very very quickly in my opinion. I'm beginning to lose faith already!

Quote: james bream @ August 26 2013, 1:01 PM BST

No points for 'trying'. Shouldn't be trying if they have been given a series, it's the BBC not YouTube. Get this shite off our TV and put some real talent on.

On the contrary, sometimes you need bad programmes on air to make the true quality in others shine through. Besides, although we may think it's bad, there may be a larger audience out there that approve of this... erm, stuff. It would be a sad world if that was the case, but it may be true.

Edit: I would even add that allowing writers to try on a publicly funded broadcaster is what the BBC should be about, even seasoned writers like David Walliams. According to the statistics, episode 2 was the number one watched programme for BBC One with 3.6 million viewers... so some people must like it.

I on the other hand am still... really hoping it gets better.

Again, still not great but not terrible either. It is a decent way to pass half an hour but with the BBC repeating Mrs Brown's Boys directly after it really does show how dull Big School can be.