The Two Ronnies help

Hello,
I am writing Hebrew subtitles to some of the old sketches, and hope you can help me in this one:
What does Ronnie Corbett say at minutes 25:26?
It sounds like "my butt is cold, to be sure" and doesn't make sense.

link 1982 chirstmas special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sxXu683UXAk#t=1522s

Thank you
Judith

I'm not quite sure how you'd translate that, as the joke appears to be that it sounds like two different things:

"My butt is cold, to be sure."

"My, but 'tis cold, to be sure."

He drops a clanger.

Thanks Aaron, I must admit it still doesn't sound right. I am not sure Ronnie's intonation fits this interpretation, and there is no reference to the cold before or after. The joke is a bit too forced for the Two Ronnies. But maybe, if you have any more ideas please tell :-)

Judith

Can we have some more things that confused you?

Happy to help...

I would imagine translating The Two Ronnies sketches to be almost impossible.

Or at least their word play ones. Four Candle and fork handles have to be two complete different words in Hebrew.

Yes, many of the Two Ronnies sketches are impossible to translate, but others are not too hard, for example this one that I think is even funnier in Hebrew, when Ronnie Barker says "I am as goy as they come", which is a funny of self contradicting sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArDv8duEgH4&list=PLkz85oh6C-ydJE74pGOxrL2ii3IdDN3eE

I am also translating Open All Hours, already finished the first season. I'm sure I will come here for more help.

You can't translate puns, you just have to come up with a version in your own language.

What problems did you have with Open All Hours?

Is Ronnie Barker that popular in Israel?

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 15 2013, 10:07 PM BST

What problems did you have with Open All Hours?

Isn't it o-o-o-o-o-o-obvious? ;)

There aren't that many language puns in Open All as in TTR, and besides fans wrote English subtitles for all the episodes which makes it a lot easier to translate; when people talk in various accents it's hard to understand from hearing.

Example for a pun in OAH, someone tells Arkwrite about a dream he had:

Arkwrite: Did you recognize the voice? Whose was it?
Customer: At first I thought it must be God.
Arkwrite: Yes, well, you would at that time of night.
Customer: But it turned out to be Mr Samuelson from Gordon Street.
Arkwrite: What? Him with the horse and cart? I'm surprised you thought he was God with the vocabulary he's got! Unless he was talking about that place near Gomorrah.
Customer: Sodom.
Arkwrite: That's what I say!

Ronnie Barker is not well known in Israel, I'm not sure any of his series was ever on the main channels. But some people know him and love him, one of the rare genius actors that ever were. It's amazing how OAH is fresh and funny after 40 years, also the genius of Roy Clarke of course.