Monty Python's Flying Circus - Series 4

Anyone got any thoughts on how the final, 1974, series of Monty Python's Flying Circus compared with the rest? This was the series in which John Cleese did not take part.

I watched it 4 or 5 years ago. I did enjoy it...strange without Cleese...but I don't think it dropped much in quality. It was OK.

EDIT: Terry Jones looked very thin and fit in that series.

Just watching the end of Party Political Broadcast, with the Lost Batsmen of Kalahari playing Warwick Cricket Club. That'd be a bit controversial nowadays, with the negro stereotyping-but that scene when the African's spear takes the Warwick batsman's head off is a total classic!

There are some classics and some clangers but that's The Flying Circus for you! Interesting that they were experimenting in narrative comedy as well as sketches, which was looking forward to the full-blown movies. Some lovely stuff in there.

I feel that no one really tried to summarise Proust...

It was hit and miss, but interesting in that it was as experimental as they ever got. I suppose by this stage they didn't think they had much to lose.

The fourth series also has one of the best MPFC episodes ever in Mr. Neutron. The whole cast excel themselves in that one. And Teddy Salad the talking dog to top it off!

Quote: the science eel @ July 14 2013, 10:01 AM BST

It was hit and miss, but interesting in that it was as experimental as they ever got. I suppose by this stage they didn't think they had much to lose.

I wonder if that's anything to do with Cleese leaving, he was always the more traditional one.