Cooper and Morecambe vs Gervais and Coogan.

For me Cooper and Morecambe shade it.

Mainly because their humour didn't rely upon taking the piss out of other people. Don't get me wrong Gervais and Coogan have had me in stitches but if I had to call ......

I think Eric Morecombe is possibly the most overrated comedian of all time.

So I'd have to say Gervais and Coogan, even though Gervais is a fotze.

Cooper & Morecambe, no contest. At all.

Oh, for a hand grenade in the ring, that night.
:P

Gervais and Coogan, definitely.

But I do love Morcambe. Not so keen on Cooper though.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 18, 2007, 7:10 AM

I think Eric Morecombe is possibly the most overrated comedian of all time.

Possibly a little.

But that crown has to go to Gervais. The man makes one show which, although a huge success, isn't as "new", "groundbreaking", or "original" as is claimed. And it certainly doesn't make him a genius. He follows up with a second programme, which although rather good isn't amazing, and isn't received nearly as well. And just falls apart in the second series. Then there's the 4 stand up tours - all pretty much identical, just on a different subject each time.

As for the radio shows, I've not heard enough to really comment, but seems again to be more of the same.

Cooper vs everyone else would still win, except perhaps against peter cook.

The once walked onto a pitch black stage and just breahed(sp?) and had everyone in creases!

Never really been a fan of Cooper, though I suppose I havent really watched enough of his stuff. For me it would have to be Gervais and Coogan, but only because Coogan is one of my all time comedy heroes and the other three arent.

I think for me the 'vs' takes its

Coogan and Fatboy, for the simple reason that they've provided some of my fondest comic moments over the last fifteen or so years, while Cooper and Morcambe - great as they undoubtedly are - are people I've only really watched on DVD, and only have the dimmest memories of watching as a boy. Ergo I don't have such a strong emotional connection with them... That said, I think both Morcambe and Cooper were more effortlessly funny. Eric Morcambe even managed to be funny coming out of the hospital after a pretty serois heart attack. And Tommy Cooper literally dying on stage, with everybody laughing, must be one of the classiest exits ever. Well done, Tommy.

Cooper - giving my age away a little here but I saw him live the year before he died (obviously). Nobody else has ever caused me to come out of a theatre (THEATRE THEATRE THEATRE not theater grrrr) with acute abdominal pain from too much laughing. Actual laughter seems to be regarded as too last millennium these days. (puts on slippers and cardy and looks wistfully at pipe collection)

I saw a Ray Cooney production at a local theatre which I really can't remember much about because I was literally crying with laughter through. Starred Joe Pasquale though, back in the pre-jungle days.

Gervais is crap and he can't be compare him to Eric Morecambe no matter how off you head you are.

It's a matter of taste.

Granted. But Eric was a natural. He could say loads of gags off the cuff. When Ricky Gervais had to that at the Diana concert, he just reduced to complaining about having two minutes to go all the time.

Granted. But Eric was a natural. He could say loads of gags off the cuff. When Ricky Gervais had to that at the Diana concert, he just reduced to complaining about having two minutes to go all the time.