Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 5

I thought it was all right. Nothing special. But I was never a huge fan of the radio show, so I was never that excited about this.

Quote: chipolata @ July 9 2013, 6:45 PM BST

I thought it was all right. Nothing special. But I was never a huge fan of the radio show, so I was never that excited about this.

Well you're going to have to get used to it as the BBC have already given it a second series - https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001193/count_arthur_strong_bbc_two_series_2_commission/

One of the reasons the radio show went down hill was because they over egged the 'Arthur mixing his words up' stuff

It got to the stage where it was so overused it became tiresome and tedious

I'm glad they've limited it on the TV show

Quote: lofthouse @ July 9 2013, 8:10 PM BST

One of the reasons the radio show went down hill was because they over egged the 'Arthur mixing his words up' stuff

It got to the stage where it was so overused it became tiresome and tedious

I'm glad they've limited it on the TV show

Yes, Arthur did turn into a one-joke character on radio, perhaps a case of a series or two too many. I didn't make it through the first ep of the TV series. Limp and lame doesn't begin to describe it, Arthur a support character in a welter of barely amusing situations. The apostrophe argument? It had one obvious punchline. They did it. Funny? No, just predictable.

It's not a TV version of the radio show. It's a reconception. But Arthur worked on radio because it was his eccentric world, he was the entree to it, and it played out in the listener's imagination. It's possible to translate such a concept to the screen but it needs much, much more inspiration than what we've got. What a shame.

Well, The IT Crowd took a good enough while to get up to speed so writing it off on the strength of one episode is a bit premature IMO

Yeah agree. I still can't believe how I was kind of put off by both the first episodes of Ted and IT Crowd (which I enjoy MUCH better now), and both are among my all time favourites :)

Clip from R4 complainers show Feedback on how Count Arthur splits audiences. I even find the complainers funny describing why he's rubbish -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqAONkUJDDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZED3gIoNSlE

Well, I've watched the first episode three times over now and I just think it's hilarious!

Well I've listen to the Count for a few years now (as someone has said, the over-use of malapropisms was, um, overused) - and frankly, this was crap. Arthur was OK but the rest was rubbish. I tittered once (I think).

Where are Wilf, Sally, Gerry, and dear Geoffrey? This isn't going to get any better, I'll stake my next fortnight's bedroom tax on it.

These characters are really weak. Get back to handfuls of scoth eggs, brawn, black pudding and bloody Doncaster. Mind, I'll still watch it I suppose. Rave on Count Arthur, but lose the multicultural thing, it ain't funny.

Spelling, grammar and punctuation is crap I know (thanks be for the spell check) so don't waste time having a go at me about it!

All the best. Wales

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ July 8 2013, 9:29 PM BST

shit, missed it. Bloody time zones!!!

That won't happen again. I'm not an idiot...
Whistling nnocently

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ July 10 2013, 12:48 PM BST

Well, The IT Crowd took a good enough while to get up to speed so writing it off on the strength of one episode is a bit premature IMO

Exactly. One poster even said he gave up after 10 minutes. Jesus wept!! If you haven't watched the full episode, your opinion on it is utterly worthless. (Newsflash - Some things start slowly)
I found it funny and expect it to get even funnier in the coming weeks.

There are some wonderful bits of dialogue in this, and individual exchanges do seem classic Count Arthur - but the whole just doesn't feel cohesive. 'Messy' would be wrong, but not delivering as much as it promises.

There were very few laughs for me, I hope it gets much better. The IT Crowd didn't start very strongly either but the first episode had way more laughs than this. But it's got some characters who show some potential, I'll keep watching.

"Messy" isn't a bad way to describe it, there were parts that didn't seem to go anywhere or have any pay off.

Maybe I should watch the first episode again, I was quite tired when I saw it.

Brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT!

Absolutely loved it

Funniest show since Miranda

Not all of it worked - but on the whole it was brilliant

The whole jack the ripper/ice cream van thing had me in hysterics!

Exceeded my expectations so far