Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 23

Seems the TV show has polarised people every bit as much as the radio show !

I grew to really like it, with some quite large reservations. I think each episode had ten very funny minutes in. I watch the Jack the Ripper sequence from the second one over and over and I bust a gut very time. Whilst I initially didn't like 'Michael' being there, I do think Kinnear and Delaney worked well together over time, but as I've said before, there was too much deconstruction of the gag and that cut into my laughter time. I liked the pathos. Some was misplaced, but most was warm and authentic and it makes a nice change from the cynical smarminess and nastiness that's marred (for me anyway) some recent comedy.

Just as an aside - how strange is it to have a bit of a crush on Count Arthur? Not that I have, I'm just asking...

Quote: Pip Bond @ August 17 2013, 2:56 PM BST

Just as an aside - how strange is it to have a bit of a crush on Count Arthur? Not that I have, I'm just asking...

Shandonbelle is in love with Alan Partridge, that is more embarrassing.

There are people on here, who shall remain nameless, who fancy Ian Hislop. So you're fine.

You're fine, everybody loves the Count! He's a legend ;)

Quote: G180e @ August 17 2013, 7:26 PM BST

You're fine, everybody loves the Count! He's a legend ;)

I don't want to give birth to his children...I can't anyway...or can I?

Hmmm...

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 13 2013, 8:39 PM BST

Why is this hot Turkish lady in love with that annoying bore of a man?

*shakes head*

No, I never got that either, even bearing in mind that she might not get out much. His crush was understandable, but when she starts eagerly flinging herself at him it's not right. Made me squirm.

I could understand why Katya was so hung up on Arthur though. Lovey

Proves that traditional comedy where you've got 2 funny "characters" and various side-kicks still works. Like the Harry Worth/Robb Wilton/Jonesy influences on Arthur's persona. Rory Kinnear as Michael is class as well. Can imagine young kids to older people liking it. Wish I'd written it.

Loved it from start to finish, now I am enjoying the radio series just as much. Well done to all concerned.

Got the DVD of this today - only £10.99 from HMV, it's £14 on Amazon (at time of writing)

Already out on DVD?

Or did you just pre-order it?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 19 2013, 7:12 PM BST

Already out on DVD?

Or did you just pre-order it?

No, it came out today!

Quote: G180e @ August 19 2013, 9:05 PM BST

No, it came out today!

Did you buy it in store as the website seems a bit odd atm?

Still on iPlayer (for another 20 hours or so), so treated my husband to the second episode (Arthur.com) which he missed the first time around. At the end he asked how anyone could possibly not like this show...I couldn't agree more, I laughed even harder on the second viewing. Admittedly the episodes weren't all of that calibre, but even the poorest (the riot episode) had a good number of laugh-out-loud moments. Roll on series 2! :D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 17 2013, 3:08 PM BST

Shandonbelle is in love with Alan Partridge, that is more embarrassing.

That is definitely more embarrassing. I can see people having a crush on Arthur though, he is irritating, but a man with lovely innocence nevertheless. Partridge is a bigot with a lot of self delusions.