Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 21

Quote: FracturedMirror @ August 8 2013, 5:54 PM BST

"It's outside my area of expertise. (Trembling) I'm afraid!" Brilliant.

It was until Michael killed it with over explanation. That's the trouble with this show, both this and the original radio version, the exposition is way too evident, making it like treacle to get through. Yet again I turned off before the end, having enjoyed the humour and Delaney's 'creation' of a character but hated the laboriousness of it all.

On the character side, I cannot help thinking of three increasingly similar seeming characters when watching CAS - Barry from Watford, the Yorkshire Tea ad man, always forget his name, and Hancock. It's like he's been cloned from these three.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 10 2013, 9:59 AM BST

It was until Michael killed it with over explanation.

Yeah agree. And Linehan had that kind of subtlety (well not subtlety, but I mean committing the obvious sin of not building on a gag like that unless it's followed by another) before, I don't know what's up with him here. This is so not him. Although Arthur as Dr. Two bits, montage bits etc were, and they still make me really LOL. Arthur's expressions while Michael's in the bed as Dr. Two was brilliant too. More of that please, less of the pathos and all that bullshit.

I'm considering whether to purchase the Live DVDs of Count Arthur, has anybody seen them?

Quote: G180e @ August 10 2013, 4:42 PM BST

I'm considering whether to purchase the Live DVDs of Count Arthur, has anybody seen them?

They are both quite good. The Musical is largely excellent, Forgotten Egypt is a bit slow but with moments of genius.

The live shows tend to be considerably slower than the radio show.

Just read the BCG preview for tomorrow.

In attempting to contact an old friend, Arthur and Michael realise that goodbyes are difficult.

Does this mean Michael is leaving? !

Huzzah if so.

Wave

From the BCG character overview:

"Katya is Arthur's greatest fan, she is Arthur's 'Polish Princess'.

She always sits at the same table in the café and eats only soup - she is very much part of the café furniture."

And she's dead. ;)

Still I don't understand what made the writers think that killing a good character halfway through the first series would be a good idea.
I hope they give her a nice funeral.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 12 2013, 4:11 PM BST

If you are a good writer you can create as many good characters as you want?

This is a lighthearted 30 minutes sitcom...not Breaking Bad or the Godfather Trilogy?

Quote: Paul Christopher @ August 12 2013, 1:41 PM BST

They are both quite good. The Musical is largely excellent, Forgotten Egypt is a bit slow but with moments of genius.

The live shows tend to be considerably slower than the radio show.

Cheers for that, Paul

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 12 2013, 5:51 PM BST

Old people still have to die, though. And younger people as well.

That's true but what I meant was:
Better keep it simple. Don't introduce too many characters, and most of all don't let them die when otherwise the show is based on easy and silly humour. It's a sitcom, not a David Lynch nightmare.

I've really enjoyed this series from start to finish and at points I'm laughing until it hurts. This is my first exposure to Count Arthur Strong, and I'm now enjoying the DVDs and the radio shows.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2013, 4:09 PM BST

Still I don't understand what made the writers think that killing a good character halfway through the first series would be a good idea.
I hope they give her a nice funeral.

I'd wager they killed her to give Michael a reason to stay with CAS once the book is written.

I really loved tonight's episode, but what a cliffhanger! I really do hope that the BBC will still go ahead with Series 2 despite the poor ratings. A fantastic series which I have really enjoyed from start to finish. Roll on Series 2!

The blackboard message made me a bit Teary.

Why is this hot Turkish lady in love with that annoying bore of a man?

*shakes head*

He's quite sweet. I find it believable.
Not everyone is all about looks and nothing else, y'know!