Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 19

The pathos seems completely out of place to me

Doesn't feel right

Yep, the comedy bits were really hilarious (my favourite bits so far hands down), but then the ending was, FFS. I believe Linehan now, he simply can't handle anything serious. Which is why IT Crowd worked so well for me.

Imagine how taut and awesome the series would've been if he had stuck to his strengths and snipped out all those irritating pathos. Not as horrible as last week's sentimental moment (i.e. wife cheating on him, seemed almost like a parody), but still sucks.

Episode 5 ratings -0.67 million viewers (3.5% audience share). Oh dear! As much as I would like to see a series 2, it is looking more unlikely each week, this is the problem with ordering a second series before a first has even aired. Not always a good move.

Those who like it will be getting a second series, so that seems like a good thing.

'Doctor 2' was ok (though it did remind me a bit of 'Gay' in The IT Crowd) but the ending was terrible.

Why on earth they think this sitcom needs pathos, of all things, is beyond me.

Katya saying why she liked the Count was a nice level of pathos. The end overdid it.
But the rest of the episode I found really funny, especially Michael trying to say 'he's not a doctor'.

Quote: zooo @ August 7 2013, 5:22 PM BST

Katya saying why she liked the Count was a nice level of pathos. The end overdid it.
But the rest of the episode I found really funny, especially Michael trying to say 'he's not a doctor'.

I think she was a good character. Why the hell did they have to kill her off so soon. Especially when there is a second series coming.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 7 2013, 5:27 PM BST

I think she was a good character. Why the hell did they have to kill her off so soon. Especially when there is a second series coming.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Well, I watched the 'Dr. Two' episode on Wednesday morning on Catchup after spending a day and a night in the hospital with my elderly and frail mother who'd gone into acute renal failure, having had no sleep in over 24 hours; and, after seeing the end with Katya's death, I actually sobbed like a baby for a good 30 minutes :) Watching it any other time might have made me agree that the pathos was misplaced and badly done (although I just watched it again knowing that my mother is now stable and being treated and will rally and I'm afraid I wept again). So I'm going to have to admit in front of all the coolly detached comedy experts and critics here that I think it was pretty good. In fact, spending a lot of time with the elderly, as I've had to do this past year, I see moments of glaring authenticity amongst the daftness in the show and I really like that.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer more full-on Count Arthur daftness and I don't ask this show to be real or authentic or moving. It's a sitcom and I'm still frustrated by the way that some straight character comes on and offers an unnecessary deconstruction of the joke whilst I'm in the midst of laughter.

I'm glad there is a second series, I think it deserves a chance to get things more right and I'm warming to it as it goes on. In each episode there is frustration but there are also several moments that elicit a genuine laugh that I can't control and that makes me get uncontrollable laughter when I recall it afterwards.

I agree it definitely was sad. I thought it was done well, it just felt out of place.

What seems to be happening - and I think this is a good thing - is that the Rory Kinnear character is becoming part of the plot rather than leading it.
The back story is receding into the background - where it belongs.
One can only hope that as the series progresses into a second run, the need to refer to why he's there in the first place will become less and less necessary and we can get on with the Count being funny.

The pathos I can live with - it was the hijacking of the series by a story I could care less about that got my goat.

Loved the little fart as he bent over to pick up the coin.

We gentlemen of a certain age are prone to things like this !

His reaction to the vending machine disappearing was very funny.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 8 2013, 1:55 PM BST

Loved the little fart as he bent over to pick up the coin.

We gentlemen of a certain age are prone to things like this !

I remember Linehan saying in an audio commentary to Father Ted: "Don't do fart jokes...avoid them at all costs".

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 8 2013, 2:00 PM BST

His reaction to the vending machine disappearing was very funny.

Heh, yes, when his little hat fell off.