Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 14

Quote: Maurice Moss @ July 23 2013, 7:47 PM BST

Yeah agree. The Micheal parts/ story arc seems weak, but I did love the whole Radio studio setup. However I do think it can be funny, he was fine in Jack the Ripper gag IMO. But still I wish Linehan didn't concentrate on the "story" arc. That's why I loved IT Crowd and Ted so much FFS. Pure sitcom for me, why the need to add a story arc or anything to it? Especially I really feared I was going to hate it when it started out with a typically depressing childhood memory. Ugh. And Kinnear seems to be terribly miscast at that as well.

Overall I liked it again.

I agree - for all my moaning, I will watch it, because the bits with Arthur in are funny.
So I'll laugh for 15 mins and be cross for 15 mins.
It's bloody frustrating.

Why did this get a second series before it really started? Is the radio show that successful? Or is it because of Linehan's or the other writer's status? Or do the execs simply love the show?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ July 23 2013, 8:27 PM BST

Why did this get a second series before it really started? Is the radio show that successful? Or is it because of Linehan's or the other writer's status? Or do the execs simply love the show?

Yes it does seem weird to give it a second series so early, they should let it see how it goes down in the ratings first!

Never having come across Arthur before I have to say I'm really enjoying this, but while 'Rory Kinnear is the greatest actor of his generation = fact' as far as I'm concerned (never mind his - exceptional - Hamlet, nobody with any love of the theatre should allow themselves to miss seeing him as Iago in the National's 'Othello') and I am enjoying him in it, I agree the character probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

I suspect it was less a case of Delaney or Linehan thinking Arthur wasn't funny enough (in fact that suggestion borders on the ludicrous), but a (misguided, probably) feeling that those new to him needed a 'way in' to the character, hence we encounter him through Michael. Still, it was worth having him there just for the scene in the Caf where he tries to help Arthur go over his lines - just the sort of funny I needed after trying to watch 'Badults' *shudders*.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ July 23 2013, 8:27 PM BST

I'm assuming Linehan and his track record and the fact that BBC has not much going on as far as quality sitcoms go at the moment anyways.

Hi, I've just discovered this show and watched the first episode and WOW! I don't get it? Lots of laughter but no jokes? How did Linehan write THIS! And did someone say it was given a second series?

Black Books, and IT Crowd were pissers from the first scene! Think of Bernard Black pushing everyone out of his shop with a broom, or Chris O'Dowed not answering the phone, and then reluctantly answering the phone and describing how to turn on a computer.

I'll stick with this because it's Linehan.

Quote: radiat10n @ July 23 2013, 11:38 PM BST

I suspect it was less a case of Delaney or Linehan thinking Arthur wasn't funny enough (in fact that suggestion borders on the ludicrous), but a (misguided, probably) feeling that those new to him needed a 'way in' to the character, hence we encounter him through Michael.

I agree. Fun though it is to bash Linehan they clearly decided Michael was the entry point for the viewer. It may not have paid off, but there's a logic to the idea.

Has Lineham said anything on the subject?
And for what it's worth, I'm still not convinced that there wasn't some sort of 'intervention by committee' that led to this woeful decision.
Oh, well.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 24 2013, 10:53 AM BST

And for what it's worth, I'm still not convinced that there wasn't some sort of 'intervention by committee' that led to this woeful decision.
Oh, well.

In a sense lineham was possibly a bad choice because he's become the story.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 24 2013, 10:53 AM BST

Yes, Line Of Ham has; what has been said somewhere above is true.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ July 24 2013, 8:36 AM BST

Hi, I've just discovered this show and watched the first episode and WOW! I don't get it?

He won't be coming back, then...

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ July 24 2013, 8:36 AM BST

I'll stick with this because it's Linehan.

Well, he's inconsistent, I'll give him that...

I probably laughed out loud that episode three more than I have at any sitcom in years. It wasn't perfect and it owned a lot to Hancock's The Bowmans, but it was bloody funny!

I want a pocket breakfast.

I think Linehan's career will survive this. Maybe he'll go back to C4?

The Radio Play was wonderful in the radio series (S01E03) and even funnier on TV.
The introductions to other cast members from 9'15" was absolute gold.
Long may it continue.