Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 10

The only time I saw/heard the Count before the TV show was when he was on the bill (not The Bill!) with Noel Fielding at the Royal Albert Hall for the Teenage Cancer Trust. With a room full of screaming teenage Fielding fans, I don't think many of them 'got it', but I thought he was quite funny.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ July 21 2013, 11:07 AM BST

The cafe girl making up random stuff seemed like a really weird, forced way to create the comedy situations, I don't think it was ever really explained why she did that?

She does say "sometimes, I'm not a nice girl" in the end. Either way it's just the second episode.

I don't love the whole "Seinfeld" feel this sitcom has - but the good parts make up for it IMO.

Yeah, that's a bit of a weak explanation really. Still, hopefully it keeps improving.

Quote: zooo @ July 21 2013, 11:37 AM BST

I still think that's generalising. If not one new viewer liked it, then it's fair to call it bad writing. But if plenty did, then it's just writing that didn't work for you.

Who's generalising? Actually you're wrong. There are countless examples of badly written shows that were liked by somebody. Nothing is ever universally hated, though the Persuasionists got pretty close. If the CAS writers were only appealing to existing fans, which is unlikely, then it might be deemed successful. However, they are not.

This show was sold as a comedy which failed to deliver. I.e. it's not funny so therefore, it's badly written. But if a few people liked it, then you think that changes anything? Not.

Quote: bob4apples @ July 21 2013, 6:17 PM BST

This show was sold as a comedy which failed to deliver. I.e. it's not funny so therefore, it's badly written.

You could have told me it wasn't funny before I watched it and laughed. I wasted all that time enjoying myself!

Quote: zooo @ July 21 2013, 6:28 PM BST

You could have told me it wasn't funny before I watched it and laughed. I wasted all that time enjoying myself!

It's your choice, not mine, whether you like it or not. Can't change that. Unless you need someone to tell you what to like.

Quote: bob4apples @ July 21 2013, 7:10 PM BST

Unless you need someone to tell you what to like.

No shortage of them.

For those radio show fans, here's a much better shot of Wilf's butcher shop from the Count Arthur Facebook page:

Saw the Count Arthur Strong Musical DVD in HMV today but decided to give it a miss which I sort of regret now. Does anybody know whether it's any good?

It's great!

There's one bit where he dresses up like a rapper and sings an Eminem song

Side splitting

Deffo worth buying

There's also CAS's Forgotten Egypt DVD - also very good

Quote: bob4apples @ July 21 2013, 6:17 PM BST

This show was sold as a comedy which failed to deliver. I.e. it's not funny so therefore, it's badly written. But if a few people liked it, then you think that changes anything? Not.

So because some people don't like it, it's not funny and that's that! The fact that other people like it changes nothing. Those who don't like it have spoken. Amazing logic. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Ringo @ July 21 2013, 11:38 PM BST

So because some people don't like it, it's not funny and that's that! The fact that other people like it changes nothing. Those who don't like it have spoken. Amazing logic. Whistling nnocently

Speaking of amazing logic, if you actually read the whole thread, instead of randomly selecting one part of it, then you wouldn't just take what was said totally out of context.

The point made by someone else was that it had to be universally disliked to be defined as badly written. I disagreed for several reasons. One, how would you know every single person hated it? Two, there's always going to be someone who likes it, no matter how bad it is. Three, just because 'some' people like it, doesn't mean it's any good either. Depends how many people that is.

Has this show ripped up any trees in the world of comedy? Not really, it just has a small audience that were mainly fans of the radio show.

The people who thought it was poo is still in the minority, in this thread that is. Then again, I was surprised to know that a handful of people hated IT Crowd too.

I don't know, I still find it funny - can't speak for everyone else.

Quote: G180e @ July 18 2013, 2:00 PM BST

It is a live audience, it was shot at Pinewood Studios earlier this year.

I am surprised by that. Nearly every line in what I watched was laughed at as if it was the best thing since sliced bread.lol

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BBC. TAKE A CHANCE AND MAKE A STUDIO BASED SITCOM THAT IS ACTUALLY FUNNY AND THAT TAKES RISKS. THE BBC USED TO BE THE KINGS OF SITCOMS, BUT THEY MUST BE SO SCARED OF OFFENDING ANYONE THAT THEY MAKE DRIVEL LIKE THIS.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ July 22 2013, 5:07 AM BST

The people who thought it was poo is still in the minority, in this thread that is. Then again, I was surprised to know that a handful of people hated IT Crowd too.

I don't know, I still find it funny - can't speak for everyone else.

Yes, only on BSG and how many of them were already fans of the radio show?

As a standalone TV sitcom, it's quite poor. The ratings weren't that great either, for a mainstream comedy series.