That Mitchell and Webb rip off

The famous sketch about the Nazi officers asking if they're the "baddies" has appeared in its entirety in a Robert Rankin book (Retromancer).

Just wondered what's the deal with comedy plagiarism? Do they often sue or do they have to just smile and eat it?

Yikes!
Well, Scarlett Johanssen has tried to sue someone recently for merely saying that one of his characters looked a bit like her in his book. So they could probably try.
They'd have a much better reason to sue than her, if it's as bad as you say.

Retromancer was published in 2009, when was the sketch broadcast?

Ooh, who should be suing who?

Nazis are used so often in comedy and fiction they should probably sue for royalties.

Quote: Nogget @ June 24 2013, 12:22 PM BST

Retromancer was published in 2009, when was the sketch broadcast?

From this very website, https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/that_mitchell_and_webb_sound/

Although it's been removed from YouTube for copyright reasons there are clips of the TV version of the sketch which were put up in 2007, so I'm guessing the original radio version is from 2006 or earlier.

OK, now all we need is to see is the actual piece from Retromancer.

I was actually at the original recording of That Mitchell & Webb Sound for the episode this was included in - I think it would've been Series 1, possibly 2, but absolutely, definitely long before 2009.

Poor Robert Rankin. He's not come out of this thread too well.

Quote: chipolata @ June 25 2013, 11:03 AM BST

Poor Robert Rankin. He's not come out of this thread too well.

Even with no actual proof, as yet!

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2013, 12:28 PM BST

Even with no actual proof, as yet!

I don't like to think of a BCG where we have to back up our arguments with "proof" and "facts".

Quote: chipolata @ June 25 2013, 11:05 PM BST

..."proof"..."facts".

Nah...shouting out your opinion as loud as you can. That's the BCG way!

Quote: Aaron @ June 24 2013, 2:49 PM BST

I was actually at the original recording of That Mitchell & Webb Sound for the episode this was included in - I think it would've been Series 1, possibly 2, but absolutely, definitely long before 2009.

I think it might've been the actual first sketch in series 1 episode 1. It was in the first episode for sure anyway. So 2006-07.

This reminds me of the episode of A Bit Of Fry & Laurie when some old bloke in the audience interrupts about three of the sketches shouting "I WROTE THAT, YOU NICKED IT!"

For anyone who can read, the evidence is probably at your local library.