Overrated sitcoms? Page 15

Still Open All Hours - How is it getting 7 million viewers? It's the same scripts as Open All Hours!!!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 25th January 2015, 6:05 PM GMT

Still Open All Hours - How is it getting 7 million viewers? It's the same scripts as Open All Hours!!!

I think it's just old people who don't know how to change the channel. Sadly, I have been part of this group for the last six weeks, but Still Open All Hours just didn't cut it for me.

Quote: Ben @ 14th January 2015, 11:44 PM GMT

I never got into Space.

Maybe when you grow up you can be an Astronaut.

I guess they are only over rated if you did not like them...

Quote: lisa chandler @ 26th January 2015, 9:24 AM GMT

I guess they are only over rated if you did not like them...

I think that it's more of the case of over-hyping certain shows over others, examples of which are 'Friends', 'Only Fools And Horses' and more recently, 'Gavin and Stacey'.

Oh, Not Going Out as I may have said once or twice before.

I just didn't rate this show at all. To me, it was a whole big empty. It was merely an insipid vehicle for a comedian rather than a strong idea which a bone fide writer would come up with.

I like writer-led sitcoms, not comedian-led ones. Sometimes the latter can come up trumps, Seinfeld for instance, but not here.

Give me a strong idea which can go places and tell the truth (which we recognise and therefore laugh), rather than just "lazy bloke fancies flatmate".

Wasn't there some talk of the format being sold to America? If this happens, I'll eat my hat. There isn't anything TO sell.

The Big Bang Theory is becoming tired. I think the writers have eased up for some reason. It has however been incredibly brilliant at its peak.
Great writing played out by actors with wonderful timing.
The Sheldon Cooper character was magnificent.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ 12th February 2015, 12:19 PM GMT

Oh, Not Going Out as I may have said once or twice before.

I just didn't rate this show at all. To me, it was a whole big empty. It was merely an insipid vehicle for a comedian rather than a strong idea which a bone fide writer would come up with.

I like writer-led sitcoms, not comedian-led ones. Sometimes the latter can come up trumps, Seinfeld for instance, but not here.

Give me a strong idea which can go places and tell the truth (which we recognise and therefore laugh), rather than just "lazy bloke fancies flatmate".

Wasn't there some talk of the format being sold to America? If this happens, I'll eat my hat. There isn't anything TO sell.

I have only just started watching 'Not Going Out' - it's not great, but there are some fab one-liners lurking in there. It seems to ape the US-style of comedy writing by committee, hence why it's not my favourite type of show. When I studied comedy writing at City Lit the lecturer was fond of the show, as he was 'Cheers', the latter being more impressive IMHO.

Quote: bill hicks @ 19th February 2015, 10:56 PM GMT

The Big Bang Theory is becoming tired. I think the writers have eased up for some reason. It has however been incredibly brilliant at its peak.
Great writing played out by actors with wonderful timing.
The Sheldon Cooper character was magnificent.

On the suggestion of my boss(!) - yes, really - I decided to give TBBT a go. It kind of reminds me of a 'Roseanne' spin off because of the cast, but, well, it's a bit, erm, samey. I have watched most of season one, but I don't think that I'll continue. Sheldon's really irritating and I write that as a fellow aspie.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 20th February 2015, 8:19 PM GMT

I decided to give TBBT a go. It kind of reminds me of a 'Roseanne' spin off because of the cast, but, well, it's a bit, erm, samey. I have watched most of season one, but I don't think that I'll continue. Sheldon's really irritating and I write that as a fellow aspie.

Ha ha. Yes it's a little bit like that at first, but Sara Gilbert isn't in it for long, and Sheldon's mother only pops up once or twice a season. I'd really recommend continuing with it a bit longer - Sheldon changes somewhat between series.

I've read the whole of this thread and wondered why no one has admitted to not "getting " a sitcom and being annoyed with themselves for not getting it. Rather than instead just saying they're overrated.
I try really hard to watch re-runs of M*A*S*H*, The League of Gentlemen, Little Britain and Mrs Brown's Boys but still fail to like them.
I get really angry (with myself) that all my mates get them and I don't.
Or am I a bit odd?

I thought Miranda was overrated, the made the stuff she did well over-hyped.

Quote: Normal Bloke @ 23rd February 2015, 5:40 PM GMT

I've read the whole of this thread and wondered why no one has admitted to not "getting " a sitcom and being annoyed with themselves for not getting it. Rather than instead just saying they're overrated.
I try really hard to watch re-runs of M*A*S*H*, The League of Gentlemen, Little Britain and Mrs Brown's Boys but still fail to like them.
Or am I a bit odd?

Odd :S

Quote: Normal Bloke @ 23rd February 2015, 5:40 PM GMT

Or am I a bit odd?

Not odd. I get it. Sometimes you really want to like something, but it just doesn't quite work for you.

Mrs. Brown's Boys & Miranda for me tie for worst sitcom in recent memory.

Overrated seems kind.

On the "don't get it" front rather than necessarily overrated - Cuckoo.

Don't know why, just didn't work for me. Am sure it worked perfectly well for lots of other people mind.