Identifying an '80s comedy

Hi everybody

I am trying to remember the name of a comedy from the 1980s. I believe it was on around the early to mid-80s.

All I can remember of it are:
- A chinese mathematician in a basement with blackboards filled with formulae.
- A random donkey wandering across a patch of grass which I think is a university quadrangle.
- Random giggling nuns walking across the same patch of grass.

I don't think the donkey or the nuns had any bearing on the plot but were just surreal elements.

I think it may have been set in a university which would explain the mathematician but I can't even remember what the general plot was.

I appreciate that this is pretty vague but any ideas to set my mind at rest?

Edit: I've just discovered that A Very Peculiar Practice had surreal nuns. I'd already considered this as a candidate but discounted it as Wikipedia didn't mention any nuns or donkeys. I think this is probably a prime candidate.

Many thanks

Matt

A Very Peculiar Practice

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090541/

It also has a character called "Chen Sung Yau" in seven episodes, that's probably the Chinese mathematician.

Welcome Matt.Was it ITV or a BBC sitcom?

@Raymond Yes, I think that's almost certainly it. Do you recall a donkey or is that false memory syndrome on my part?

@David Thanks. I think Raymond got it.

Well, that's relief to have put that to bed. :)

Definitely worth getting and re-watching.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/5320

Yup think I'm going to have to get it. I have no memory of it at all other than the nuns and the mathematician.

Despite not remembering much about it, in my head I've always linked this programme with the Beiderbecke trilogy. Now I know why, Barbara Flynn.

Quote: currydemon @ May 5 2013, 4:57 PM BST

@Raymond Yes, I think that's almost certainly it. Do you recall a donkey or is that false memory syndrome on my part?

I've actually never seen it, I just looked up the title you thought might be it ;)

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ May 6 2013, 12:06 AM BST

I've actually never seen it, I just looked up the title you thought might be it ;)

HeHe. I'd Googled for nuns, mathematicians and universities with no success. Not quite sure why I didn't get as far as IMDB. Still at least I got to see some interesting websites. :O

Quote: currydemon @ May 5 2013, 10:50 PM BST

Yup think I'm going to have to get it. I have no memory of it at all other than the nuns and the mathematician.

If you do, you may as well do so now. I don't think I've seen it any cheaper than the current price on Amazon, £23.50: See Amazon product listing