Popcorn Saturday: Script Call RealDeal Theatre

Hi, Wave

@RealDealtheatre of Sitcom Saturday fame is back! And this time with a new event, #PopcornSaturday!

We're looking for five short plays, not more than 15 minutes long, inspired by the movies! That's to say movies and cinema (anywhere in the world) must be integral to story and plot.

Popcorn Saturday! will be held on Saturday, 29th June 2013 at 6.30pm in Westminster Reference Library, 35 St Martin's Street, London WC2H 7DP, in the heart of London's West End. The scripts will be staged as professionally directed and acted public script-in-hand, semi-staged performances of the chosen scripts.

Read the full entry details before entering! http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk You can download the entry details in pdf format from the homepage of the website and the scripts webpage within the website.

The entry window for submissions is Monday, 20th May to Sunday, 26th May 2013 inclusive to scripts@realdealtheatre.org.uk No entries will be accepted outside these dates.

Submissions are welcome from anywhere but writers must be able to attend Popcorn Saturday! on 29th June 2013 at Westminster Reference Library, just off Leicester Square.

We're also putting updates on our website, Twitter and Facebook feeds if we get queries, the answers to which we think will be useful for people considering entering.

Follow us on @realdealtheatre

Good luck!

Put A Smile On Your Face With RealDeal Theatre :) Wave

So....how much do the writers get paid?

HAHAHAHAHHA....only joking.

Quote: Jinky @ April 28 2013, 12:00 AM BST

So....how much do the writers get paid?

HAHAHAHAHHA....only joking.

Hi Jinky, Wave

Actually while retaining our sense of humour :), we take that thing called money seriously too ... This year we have a very small amount of external funding (any legitimate offers accepted!) and when we have had more funding in the past, it was a matter of matter of covering expenses and giving actors and directors a token contribution to their expenses (£5 ...).

What playwrights get (for free): to keep his or her or their own copyright, the chance to work with a professional director and actors and see his or her or their play in performance in front of a live audience who are usually given an event programme which includes the name, brief biog and contact details for the writer(s).

After every RealDeal Theatre event, participants get contact details for all involved: directors, actors and, if we have one, the stage manager. This is often the first time a playwright has had work staged and we give guidelines which can stand him or her in good stead for any future staging of his or her work. They also get photographs and a video of their work, if we film it (which we try to do at every event). See the photo gallery at http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk

If by chance somebody or some organization decided to bestow some dosh on us, our first concern would be to cover the event's expenses (phone calls, stationery, publicity, rehearsal space etc) in a transparent manner. Then to pay at least basic expenses of actors and directors. If there were any possibility of paying writers, (and I'm a writer myself), we would, as we aim to work in cooperative manner.

In other words, we treat our writers as we would wish to be treated ourselves by a low to no budget event reaching a professional standard and recognizing the value of all the artistes involved.

At the moment we do have a contribution from an individual of £100 for this event - our maximum funding for an event has been £1000 and, believe me, with six pieces with separate casts and directors and assistant directors (we like to help emerging talent that way too), we had to work very hard with that to keep within budget. When I say "we", it's actually me doing most of the on-the-ground organizing as RealDeal is my brainchild with the sturdy support of one other.

At the moment, our events tend to be set up at short notice, so we haven't yet experimented with crowdfunding. So paying everyone concerned, including writers, at least a minimum wage is a distant dream but then once so was putting on popular events showcasing the work of so many writers and other artistes from around the UK, as we have done. So we're ever hopeful ... RealDeal is our name and that's exactly what we aim to provide!

Blimey, did I say all that in one breath ;) !!!!

Put A Smile On Your Face With RealDeal Theatre :)
@realdealtheatre

Good answer Goldnutmeg!

Quote: LippyAlison @ April 29 2013, 11:44 PM BST

Good answer Goldnutmeg!

Hear, hear!

Quote: LippyAlison @ April 29 2013, 11:44 PM BST

Good answer Goldnutmeg!

Quote: StephenM @ April 30 2013, 10:41 AM BST

Hear, hear!

Hey, thanx guys! :)