Watson & Oliver - Series 2

Looking forward to this starting tonight.

Looking forward to The Killing sketch.
<3 Jumpers. <3

:D

And the Call The Midwife sketch!

Oh yes, that was the other one that looked funny on the trailer.

I'll be watching. I quite enjoyed the first series and it helps fill the gap between Suits and Boss.

This is pretty thin stuff, isn't it?

The "incompetent National Trust volunteer" sketch, aside from being longer than Lawrence of Arabia in the director's cut version, was mined out last time. And it's essentially a mash-up of old French and Saunders sketches anyway. The prison dancing sketch lacked, well, all traces of humour. The Ring Tone sketch was as dated as the RAZR flip-phones.

The Angela Merkel sketch was good, though.

It wasn't anything spectacular but I enjoyed it. And for some reason the missing cat sketch really made me laugh.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2013, 10:29 PM BST

It wasn't anything spectacular but I enjoyed it. And for some reason the missing cat sketch really made me laugh.

Indeed. It was far and away the best: simple visual gag, show it, done. Funny.

Most of the other sketches were twice as long as they needed to be. The "practical cookery" was one gag stretched to the length of a fantasy trilogy with maps in the endpapers and a made up language or two in the appendices.

Most of the rest lacked the barest semblance of a payoff or punch line.

Loved 70% of it. The prison disco was spot on, loved the Spandau smoocher coming on just as she got on the dance floor.
Tearing the block of cheese in the shop had me in stitches for some reason, though the sketch itself a bit on the long side.
The singing policewomen in the car was funny, with the comic diving in the background.
Cookery one was good, and the Call the Midwife 'it's a cockney' was :D

More!

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 25 2013, 10:33 PM BST

Most of the other sketches were twice as long as they needed to be. The "practical cookery" was one gag stretched to the length of a fantasy trilogy with maps in the endpapers and a made up language or two in the appendices.

I think most of the sketches are long yes, but they carry it off because they are so watchable, there is something special about the two of them together that just works.

Somewhere down the line I'd love to see them make a sitcom, it would give those sketches somewhere to breathe.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2013, 10:29 PM BST

It wasn't anything spectacular but I enjoyed it.

This.

Was it just me who was reminded of Morecambe & Wise during the flat share/mobile phone sketch?

Watching it now and so far 4 for 4 it's very good unrecognisable really.

I think they are good, can act rather than just pull silly faces. Talented. Some sketches I didn't care for but that's the case with any sketch show. Mostly very good and I am with the Shandonbelle, can see them doing a sitcom. As Aaron says like M and W they seem to have come on with a bit of depth and assurance behind them.

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2013, 9:05 AM BST

I think they are good, can act rather than just pull silly faces. Talented. Some sketches I didn't care for but that's the case with any sketch show. Mostly very good and I am with the Shandonbelle, can see them doing a sitcom. As Aaron says like M and W they seem to have come on with a bit of depth and assurance behind them.

They seemed to have dropped the variety stuff though (I.e. when it's obvious it's a studio). Morecambe and Wise did the same and it flopped.

I think technology plays a bigger part nowadays, a lot easier to do out and about sketches than it was in M&W's day.