Withoutabox - cynical or not?

I have noticed a lot of festivals have adopted this as the preferred means of submitting scripts for awards/competitions. Naturally there are fees involved. Once you register you keep getting peppered with "suggestions" of what you can submit your work to - at a price of course.

My question is, do you think this is just another way of getting doe-eyed writers to spend money as they dream of fame and fortune or is there some worth which escapes me at the moment?

Festivals aren't free to organize.

I'm not saying you *couldn't* make a fortune from £40 per entry contests with no actual judging or prize, but if you want to scam people it's better to skip the creative types and target those with actual money.

Looking at it Withoutabox is just a mechanism for submitting scripts/films to festivals and competitions. They don't charge writers directly. The choice on the level of fee is up to each festival. Obviously if the festival/comp incurs a cost of using Withoutabox they will factor that into their fees. But it may save them money/time opening thousands of envelopes etc.

From what I can see Withoutabox is a genuine and possibly useful service. That doesn't mean that all festivals/competitions are worth entering. I used to be totally against entrance fees but now that any trained parrot with a laptop can bash out something that looks vaguely like a script I can see why festival organisers would want to make sure people don't just dump out their bottom drawer scripts on them "just in case" because it's free. If you're paying a fee you think about it more and send only your best!

Quote: David Salisbury @ April 25 2013, 7:23 AM BST

From what I can see Withoutabox is a genuine and possibly useful service.

From what I see Withoutabox doesn't have a website...

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 25 2013, 9:36 AM BST

From what I see Withoutabox doesn't have a website...

https://www.withoutabox.com

Quote: Lazzard @ April 25 2013, 10:24 AM BST

https://www.withoutabox.com

Don't you hate it when websites have really non-obvious names! :P :D