Dead sitcoms

None of us are getting any younger but which sitcoms have effectively died as all the main characters have passed away?

When Frank Thornton popped his cloggs that left Mr Rumbold (Nicholas Smith) and Mr Spooner (Mike Berry), the latter being a replacement character anyway. Dad's Army still has Private Pike, Hodges and the Vicar while On the Buses lives on through only Anna Karen as Olive Rudge. Porridge only has a few left (Lukewarm and Bunny Warren plus the Scots guy) but again, these were more secondary characters.

It's a bit morbid but can you think of any shows with four or more in the main cast that have all gone?

On the Buses have Blakey still alive played by Stephen Lewis.

LOTSW ?

Quote: David Smith @ April 16 2013, 3:40 PM BST

On the Buses have Blakey still alive played by Stephen Lewis.

Duh! Sorry, how did I miss that!

Sorry Stephen Lewis :(

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 16 2013, 3:48 PM BST

LOTSW ?

I did think about that but the main cast was only three and Peter Sallis is still going. So many became regulars even though they joined more than a decade after it started...Stephen Lewis for one!

Same with Steptoe and Son.

But for LOTSW, although I agree three primary characters there were other that played a key role from the beginning or, at leas, very early on. Wally, Nora, Sid.

'Allo 'Allo!?

Going Stateside for a moment, I was gonna say The Odd Couple. But if you think Jack Klugman had a good innings, Al Molinaro, who played Murray the cop, is still flying the flag for that particular show at 93.

So I'll go with Bootsie & Snudge. ;)

Quote: David Smith @ April 16 2013, 5:43 PM BST

'Allo 'Allo!?

Most of the cast are very much alive and kicking, so a big no - thankfully!

How about Nearest and Dearest?
I know there weren't many "main" characters but Hylda Baker, Jimmy Jewel and Joe Gladwin have all sadly gone.....

George and the Dragon and Sykes

Porridge

Quote: Tuumble @ April 16 2013, 3:33 PM BST

None of us are getting any younger but which sitcoms have effectively died as all the main characters have passed away?

By this definition, none.

After all the real Mona Lisa died centuries ago. Does that effectively make it a dead painting?

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 5 2013, 9:05 PM BST

By this definition, none.

After all the real Mona Lisa died centuries ago. Does that effectively make it a dead painting?

I take your point but Leonardo was hardly likely to paint a second series and Christmas Special of the Mona Lisa was he?

Technically you could still do a revival of Fawlty Towers as all the main actors are still alive but to have Manuel as a waiter aged 83 would be a tad ridiculous.

I just didn't think there is any major (colour) sitcom that have lost every single one of the primary characters other than Are You Being Served? Mr Rumbold and Mr Spooner are grey areas in that respect.

Quote: Tuumble @ May 8 2013, 1:16 AM BST

I take your point but Leonardo was hardly likely to paint a second series and Christmas Special of the Mona Lisa was he?

Technically you could still do a revival of Fawlty Towers as all the main actors are still alive but to have Manuel as a waiter aged 83 would be a tad ridiculous.

I just didn't think there is any major (colour) sitcom that have lost every single one of the primary characters other than Are You Being Served? Mr Rumbold and Mr Spooner are grey areas tfewhat respect.

Steptoe and Son was in colour. Quite a few have died in It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Huge ensemble casts are rare.

Since my point was that sitcoms aren't dead, you don't really take my point, do you? Revivals are never great money spinners, anyway.

I do take your point. Yes, I really do. The original point has been missed but who gives a shit anyway