Best comedy character? Page 3

Thank-you, Dave, for Blackadder Goes Forth, Episode 4: Plan D: Private Plane

I remember watching this with my parents and being absolutely mesmerised by Lord Flasheart. He was so astoundingly funny I couldn't even laugh. All characters were brilliant of course, but Rik played his part so plausibly you actually believe he could have been playing himself (Rufus Hound wouldn't even need make-up!).

Still can't believe he is no longer with us - we have lost so many great artistic talents recently.

:-(

MrT.Collier
127 Inkerman Terrace
Newcastle upon Tyne

I'll just go with lead characters

1) Alf Garnett
2) Rupert Rigsby
3) Albert Steptoe
4) Victor Meldrew
5) Captain George Mainwaring
6) Jim Royle
7) Terry Collier
8) Alan Partridge
9) Harold Steptoe
10) Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter
11) George Roper
12) Rene Artois
13) Albert Arkwright
14) Basil Fawlty
15) Reginald Perrin
16) Richard Richard
17) Malcolm Tucker
18) Norman Stanley Fletcher
19) Blackadder
20) Tommy Saxondale
21) Mark Corrigan
22) David Brent
23) Hyacinth Bucket (I don't wanna be seen as sexist, do I?)
24) Ted Bovis
25) Frank Spencer

It's all right. It's perfectly natural for some men to be infatuated only with other men.

Mrs Betty Slocombe
Edina Monsoon
Patsy Stone
Hyacinth Bucket
Nellie Boswell
Alice Tinker
Geraldine Granger
Ria Parkinson
Amy Farah Fowler
Peggy Bundy
Jessica Tate

All of The Young Ones and even Mike because he still played a part even though he never said or did anything funny.

Dr Elliot Reid from Scrubs is a mass of madness played by Sarah Chalke who also played a Becky in Roseanne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkncSajMaew

Alan Partridge must be the most endured character, which I believe should count for something. 25 years, this year, that the character has stayed prevalent in British Comedy.

Rik from The Young Ones was one of, if not the most, influential characters of all time.

Blackadder is probably one of the best concept characters. A cynical man dropped into periods of history.

From a subjective point of view, I love Richie & Eddie and the Red Dwarf crew.

Quote: Woozie @ 6th April 2016, 8:53 AM BST

Alan Partridge must be the most endured character, which I believe should count for something. 25 years, this year, that the character has stayed prevalent in British Comedy.

Rik from The Young Ones was one of, if not the most, influential characters of all time.

Blackadder is probably one of the best concept characters. A cynical man dropped into periods of history.

From a subjective point of view, I love Richie & Eddie and the Red Dwarf crew.

For comedy value Alan Partrige is one of the best but I also like Paul Calf who is full of well observed northernisms. Both characters are completely different to Coogan so it shows how he becomes a different person when he plays them. Incredibly talented chap.

I agonise over who is funnier in The Young Ones because I used to think it was Rick but Vyv and Neil were also brilliant characters. What could steal it for Rick is what a selfish, self obsessed, snobby bastard he was and it was defintely a springboard for the equally despised Alan B'stard. Rick would speak to everyone with contempt unless they had something he could benefit from a lot like Basil Fawlty but more coarse and offensive.

"Well of course they were you senile old git or they wouldn't be changes would they" :D

Abed Nadir, Maurice Moss or any character played by Eddie Murphy :^)

Either Pete or Dud of the Dagenham dialogues.

Winston Ingram from Still Game

Quote: Sarc @ 25th April 2016, 6:55 PM BST

Winston Ingram from Still Game

and from the same show-Naveed the shopkeeper-pure gold.

As Navid would say 'quality'