What DVD are you watching? Page 41

Just started rotating Larry Grayson's "Shut that Door", Jack Benny's "TV program"(sic) and Gervais' "Extras" box-sets.

Now there's a mix!!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th March 2022, 9:05 PM

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Ah, it's been a few years since I saw this, but I remember it being quite a fresh 'meta' style take on the whole Nightmare on Elm Street concept, with the actors from the franchise playing as their real-life selves, and then Freddy becomes 'real'. What did you make of it?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th March 2022, 3:32 PM

I was given a screener DVD by a friend of a film that is now on at the cinema (all legit, well nearly)
He is a joiner and 2 years ago he was asked to do some work for a film crew on location in Bradford.
He had to remove some signs and posts from a cemetery so as not to give the game away because it was supposed to be Newcastle.
They needed a sparky to disconnect things and re-connect after filming so he phoned me.
They took my name and told me it was for the credits.
His name is on there but mine bloody isnt .
Cracking film though.

What's it called?

The Duke.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th March 2022, 7:59 AM

The Duke.

The hell it is!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th March 2022, 3:32 PM

I was given a screener DVD by a friend of a film that is now on at the cinema (all legit, well nearly)
He is a joiner and 2 years ago he was asked to do some work for a film crew on location in Bradford.
He had to remove some signs and posts from a cemetery so as not to give the game away because it was supposed to be Newcastle.
They needed a sparky to disconnect things and re-connect after filming so he phoned me.
They took my name and told me it was for the credits.
His name is on there but mine bloody isnt .
Cracking film though.

Is that the one about the bloke who stole the painting - Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren?

Yes it is. They filmed a section in a Bradford cemetery. I saw the actors twice, once while filming in the cemetery and later at a sort of champagne reception at the film makers studios.
It's based on a true story and thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th March 2022, 8:53 AM

The hell it is!

:D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th March 2022, 7:59 AM

The Duke.

Going to see it at the local picturedrome on the morrow.

Oh I say. What-O!

Will you be in the 1/9 pennies or splash out on a circle. Might not be able to afford an Lyons Maid tub, or bag of Butterkist and Kia-Ora orange squash though, when the lady with the illuminated tray comes round after the Pearl and Dean.

OR (F**k it, doesn't work for some reason - Grrrr)

Fixed it for you. xox

Thank you, Aaron!

If you've got quarter of an hour spare, it is well worth watching the second Pearl & Dean, as someone has made a composite of the cinema ads - and what ads!!

I can't believe the Silk Cut cigarette one!!!! How did they get away with it, and I'm sure that the man blacked up is John Bird (?)

Then you'll see Brucie, Tel with enormous shirt collars, Ronnie Barker, John Le Mez, and the "small ads" at the end are hysterical. Love it.

But I don't remember the lady with the tray of Kia-Ora having a such a short skirt - Phwoar! Open invitation for a grope in the dark I would have thought!!

Oh, and for anoraks, I think the P&D theme music was called "Asteroids"

Don't know about service from the tray - more like under the tray ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th March 2022, 3:28 PM

If you've got quarter of an hour spare, it is well worth watching the second Pearl & Dean, as someone has made a composite of the cinema ads - and what ads!!

I can't believe the Silk Cut cigarette one!!!! How did they get away with it, and I'm sure that the man blacked up is John Bird (?)

I could have sworn I spotted Roy Castle reprising his Carry On Up the Khyber role in there somewhere too.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th March 2022, 11:22 AM

Oh I say. What-O!

Will you be in the 1/9 pennies or splash out on a circle.

Unfortunately the one and nines are now the three pound fifties. Plus an extra 60p if you book in advance via the inter-web (never could understand the reasoning behind that).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th March 2022, 10:18 AM

Unfortunately the one and nines are now the three pound fifties. Plus an extra 60p if you book in advance via the inter-web (never could understand the reasoning behind that).

To make money?

I haven't been to the cinema for yonks (not the cost, it's the effin' chatterers and crunchers behind me that put me off,once and for all), I remember a bag of Butterkist was 6d (2½p) what is it now - I've heard people complaining about what they charge for popcorn. (then sit behind you)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th March 2022, 10:40 AM

To make money?

Yes, but what I mean is they charge a booking fee if you book on-line but not if you book in person at the box office. Yet surely it costs them more for an employee to spend 10 minutes of their time dealing with the transaction and printing out a ticket than it does for their booking system to do it automatically and send an e-ticket, which is, after all, its sole raison-detre,

I see, well thinking about what I've said previous, I'd wait until the DVD comes out, and if you're not in a hurry (me) wait until someone (or musicmagpie) sells it for peanuts. (that's not cinema peanuts, of course)

OR even better still get someone like my son, who is IT savvy, to download from god knows where for f'all. ?

Watched the last (No. 6) disc in the Blackadder box-set tonight, which contained a doc. that I'm sure I'd seen on the Beeb and interviews with the main stars and writers, which was interesting.

Another one bites the dust