Never The Twain

Who remembers this brilliant series? Donald Sinden and Windsor Davies are brilliant in it. It is being shown at 6.55pm on ITV3 every week night, except Friday where it is being shown at 11.35pm (I'll be tuning in, despite how late). I have the first series on DVD (which has now been deleted). It is okay, but watching the later episodes, they are much better. Hopefully all 11 series will be available soon. It's the kind of thing Network will release a series at a time, hopefully they will do so.

I remember it well. I also love DS and WD,and they worked so well together on screen.

God they don't make em like this anymore

I've seen a few episodes, and it seemed alright. Not brilliant, but alright.

As mentioned elsewhere, one episode is a DIRECT (even line-for-line in some places) rip-off of one from Two in Clover.

awful series..........typical ITV dross............11 series!...........1 barrel well & truly scraped...........school for over acting.........

Quote: Aaron @ August 9, 2007, 9:19 AM

I've seen a few episodes, and it seemed alright. Not brilliant, but alright.

As mentioned elsewhere, one episode is a DIRECT (even line-for-line in some places) rip-off of one from Two in Clover.

Yes the episode was probably written by Vince Powell, who wrote Two in Clover. Vince Powell was forever reusing his ideas from one sitcom to another sitcom. Take the Bless this House episode Strangers in the Night (Written by Powell and Harry Driver) was an exact copy of the George and the Dragon episode Court Case (also written by Powell and Harry Driver)

Quote: CHUNDA @ August 9, 2007, 3:40 PM

awful series..........typical ITV dross............11 series!...........1 barrel well & truly scraped...........school for over acting.........

So then Chunda I take it your not a fan. Yes it may have been a bit middle class and safe and stayed well within the boundaries but the charactors were so good it was hilariously funny :D

Just watched last nights showing of Never the Twain on ITV3 titled: Love is a Many Splendid thing. It is a exact copy of the final George and the Dragon episode: wait for it: Love is a Many Splendid thing. Both episodes again written by Vince Powell with a gap of 19 years.

Shameless, wasn't he? Laughing out loud

I've got no way of tracking that Never the Twain ep from last night, but will have to re-watch and compare the BTH and G&TD eps.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 9, 2007, 5:15 PM

Yes the episode was probably written by Vince Powell, who wrote Two in Clover.

(Oh, and yes. It was. The cheeky scalliwag.)

I'm sorry Jack but I agree with Chunda. Another typical ITV "comedy"

You say that like it's a bad thing. :P

Classic Never the Twain quote:
(Simon is in bed with a cold, but has the medical guide out thinking it is something more serious, Oliver is reading out to him)
OLIVER: Is your pulse beating fast
SIMON: Yes
OLIVER: Are you having pains in your stomach
SIMON: (More scared) Yes
OLIVER: Aren't you able to eat
SIMON: (Even more scared) Yes
OLIVER: Well that's it then
SIMON: Oh Oliver spread the news gently, what's up with me
OLIVER: You're pregnant.

hilarious!..................comedy gold!..............not!

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 10, 2007, 1:01 PM

Classic Never the Twain quote:
(Simon is in bed with a cold, but has the medical guide out thinking it is something more serious, Oliver is reading out to him)
OLIVER: Is your pulse beating fast
SIMON: Yes
OLIVER: Are you having pains in your stomach
SIMON: (More scared) Yes
OLIVER: Aren't you able to eat
SIMON: (Even more scared) Yes
OLIVER: Well that's it then
SIMON: Oh Oliver spread the news gently, what's up with me
OLIVER: You're pregnant.

hilarious!.........comedy gold!...........yes!

Quote: David Chapman @ August 9, 2007, 10:36 PM

I'm sorry Jack but I agree with Chunda. Another typical ITV "comedy"

Fair enough ITV have created some awful sitcoms, but they have created classics aswell, such as: On the Buses (ITV's best), Rising Damp and Only When I Laugh to name a few.

OWIL is pretty mediocre IMO.

Just bought a very interesting piece of television memoribillia on ebay tonight, won the bid. An actual Never the Twain script that someone got from Thames Television written by Vince Powell from the eighth series. It contains the script, along with all the production notes and a map of the studio. Intended for an actor. Just be interesting. I won a tight competition in bids, but got it for £9. A pretty good deal in my opinion.

Oh you ... *swears at Jack*