Love Thy Neighbour title sequence query

Hi,

I am hoping anyone can help me finding the animated titles to the above show. I have been going through the series but all I can find are the photo montages of the street. What I am looking for is the opening in which you hear footsteps walking up a garden path and then 2 houses are shown. In the bottom window of the house to the right, the curtains open and a shadow would appear (although this may have been an animated Rudolph Walker).

I have spoken to someone from TV-Ark and they said Southern used to use a still of the animation to introduce the show so it does exist in some format. They also said 'At a guess it is series 1 or 2. The whole series is available on DVD,
but there are many series, almost all with the montage title shots.
The series had 4 producers, so I would go for the Stuart Allen
episodes in 1972, series 1.
He certainly used animation for Mind Your Language a few years later...'

If anyone remembers the title sequence/still picture, - or better still, has a picture/video of it, please do reply as I have been searching for it for years as it used to scare me as a little boy! I know this doesn't help much but the sequence kind of resembled the opening titles to Jamie and the Magic Torch which showed his mum's silhouette in an upstairs window!

Thanks,

Gavin :)

I've been through all 8 series, but I'm afraid cannot find a trace of any animation. Also checked the unbroadcast pilot, the film and the Australian spin-off. No cartoon or animation of any kind.

The original DVD releases of the first 4 series features an animation as part of its menu sequence that's not too different to what you describe, but I can't see any opening curtains or shadows.

Assuming you're not getting the title sequence of a different series confused with Love Thy Neighbour, it's possible that the animation was replaced at some point - perhaps by Thames, perhaps by the DVD distributors - with the photo montage that ran through the rest of the series.

Long story short: I don't think you'll be able to find it, sorry.

You're not going mad - I remember seeing something like you describe.

Quote: Lazzard @ March 4 2013, 9:41 AM GMT

You're not going mad - I remember seeing something like you describe.

Maybe it was an animated commercial for the BNP? Laughing out loud

It looks like the Love Thy Neighbour mystery has been solved, thanks to Steve!

For those wondering what I was going on about, watch the ending to the pilot episode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASytk7s4o0A

I was probably thinking the cartoon images (not animated) were the opening titles, and that's why I got confused. These images only appear as far as I know in the pilot episode ending.

Ah! Of course! Well found, Gav (and Steve, whoever he is). Thanks for letting us know. :)

Steve is from Tv Ark - many comedy title sequences on there, and he's the one who put 2 and 2 together :)

If only Joseph Goebbels put more animation in his films. Then they might be seen as funny and beloved

If I was in charge I would have kept the animation at the end. Also I would add it at the beginning.

Well that was a lovely pilot, very strong. Did that serve as the 1st episode as well? Because I noticed Eddie's wife was different from the series, and possibly Bill's, tho it seems criminal to change her. I mean, ding dong as some recent headers might've said.

The pilot was very enjoyable however I wasn't keen on this to series 3.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 4 2013, 9:14 PM BST

Well that was a lovely pilot, very strong. Did that serve as the 1st episode as well? Because I noticed Eddie's wife was different from the series, and possibly Bill's, tho it seems criminal to change her. I mean, ding dong as some recent headers might've said.

No. The pilot was never broadcast. If I recall correctly, however, the first episode of the series was the same basic plot, rewritten (and re-filmed).

With some shows they show the pilot. But with other shows they don't.

Yeah it sure is a wrongly maligned sitcom this, or maligned for reasons which are more to do with the language and attitudes of the era, not the show itself. I don't think you can knock the sitcomability of this or the quality of the humour in it, it simply works - you may not like the fact it does or like the very un PC nature of the the humour now, but these are solid sitcom set ups that can't fail, from a coldly technical point of view. Still, did very okay in its day. I remember the film with great affection.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 4 2013, 9:57 PM BST

...but these are solid sitcom set ups that can't fail,

Just seems like "joining the dots" to me, rather than creating one from scratch. Anyway the prejudice was a lot worse in real life.