Best Fawlty Towers Quote or Scene Page 3

From Waldorf Salad:
Mr Hutchinson: Took a little back street called the M5!
Basil: I'm Sorry most of the English cars have steering wheels
Basil: (puts head down in disgust) Rubbish
Mrs Hutchinson:May I introduce my husband
Basil: (Sniffs and picks nose)
Sybil: (comes out of kitchen) What's Going on Basil?
Basil: (scrunches up piece of paper and throws it in bin) Nothing Dear just more of that bloody rubbish!
Laughing out loud

Classic one-liner:
"The Samaritans were engaged"
Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

John Cleese's best scene, according to the Alimony Tour seems to be the fire alarm scene, and the funniest line?

"I don't know why we bother. We should let you all burn!"

It "tops" the scene and explains Fawlty's character completely, and also shows John Cleese's hatred of pointless bureaucratic tasks.

But there are other brilliant lines here. "The fire bell is a semitone higher!" "Could some of you go into the lounge, or the dining room, use your imagination?" "You know the bell so you know the moment when I ring the bell!"

Lots of great quotes here, but it's the visuals that crease me up the most, my two favourites, both from The Psychiatrist:

GOLD
Basil's face appears at the 2nd floor window of the above doctor and his wife, realises it's the wrong window and starts sound checking it like he did with the walls.

SILVER
Aussie bird comes out of broom cupboard with black handprint on her chest, Sybil glares at Basil who puts his hand on it again, thinking it would cover it up.

BRONZE
Having a right go at himself pretending to be Manuel in Waldorf Salad. Doors open, unsurprised American stands there staring at him in pity.

Cue 4 decades of rib hurting laughter, and many more to come.

Basil to Sybil while she is on phone to Audrey saying "I know. Oh, I know! I know!!!" "If you know, why is she telling you?"

Basil The Rat

Where Basil knees the major in the balls to stop him from letting the hotel inspector know he had seen a rat .......

Communication Problems

Conversation between Basil and Manual....Don't tell anyone about the horse .....
And the same episode....The Samaritans were engaged ...

From The Physicarist:

"I tell Mrs Fawlty. You try to see girl in room and she go crazy"

Quote: G180e @ March 15 2013, 9:20 PM GMT

From The Physicarist:

Is that the thirteenth episode? I know there's one called The Psychiatrist...

That's how Del Boy would pronounce this profession.

I remember laughing fit to burst on the original showing of the Rat episode.
Especially as the final credits roll and Basil is being dragged out of the room on his back. It was even too much for him.

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 19 2013, 1:04 PM GMT

Is that the thirteenth episode? I know there's one called The Psychiatrist...

You know what I meant! Angry

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ March 19 2013, 4:23 PM GMT

I remember laughing fit to burst on the original showing of the Rat episode.
Especially as the final credits roll and Basil is being dragged out of the room on his back. It was even too much for him.

I love it when Basil takes away the plates (with the supposedly poisoned veal) from the guests with the statement: "Sorry, we have to warm up the plates, they are too cold". He screams and lets them drop because they're burning hot.

I still mutter under my breath at times . . .

'I'm doing it, I'm doing it ! '

And whose fault is it, you cloth eared bint?

What is cloth eared, anyway?

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 9 2013, 4:46 PM BST

What is cloth eared, anyway?

I'm no lexicographer or oceanographer, but I'll hazard a wild guess that "cloth-eared" means "ears made of cloth" and therefore suggests dimwitted.

Not dimwitted, just hard of hearing. It's a Midlands/Northern expression.