A Bit Of A Do

I have just bought the complete series of this on DVD and think it is top hold. Not really a sitcom, more a comedy-drama, but the characters are great, David Nobbs scripts are great (they were just as good in Reginald Perrin). Each episode is an hour long, there are 13 episodes, plus over an hour of extras all for £30, not bad. Coronation Street's notorious gossipers Norris and Blanche turn up in the episodes. I have watched the first 3 episodes and they are great.

Yeah I saw this first time around ... it was damn good IMO.

I thought it was dead boring, despite David Jason, Gwen Taylor, Michael Jayston, David Thewlis and Paul Chapman being in it.

I vaguely remember it and I think I enjoyed it.

I remember it - but not being that long. It was quite good though. Not laugh out loud as far as I can remember.

Quote: David Chapman @ August 7, 2007, 8:31 PM

I remember it - but not being that long. It was quite good though. Not laugh out loud as far as I can remember.

No it was a Comedy-Drama and in truth there was more drama in it than comedy

This is being shown on Drama as of Sunday. Think I'll give it a go

I watched most of tonight's episode (after MOTD2)and thought it was great. I really have to see it all in order. Some brilliant acting from a great cast and a great Nobbs script.

Apart from all the great aforementioned actors Stephanie Cole was in it and I always had a bit of a thing about Gwen Taylor. She really has got a lovely face.

Also noticed a pre-Corrie Norris.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd February 2015, 12:50 AM GMT

I watched most of tonight's episode (after MOTD2)and thought it was great. I really have to see it all in order. Some brilliant acting from a great cast and a great Nobbs script.

Apart from all the great aforementioned actors Stephanie Cole was in it and I always had a bit of a thing about Gwen Taylor. She really has got a lovely face.

Also noticed a pre-Corrie Norris.

"Tickety boo!" Isn't Maggie Jones, the actress who played Blanche in it too?

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd February 2015, 12:50 AM GMT

I always had a bit of a thing about Gwen Taylor. She really has got a lovely face.

I had a bit of a thing about Nicola Pagett, but went off her a bit when she went all weird in real life.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/madly-in-love-how-nicola-pagetts-infatuation-tipped-over-into-obsession-1233638.html

Saw an episode of it on Drama, I think, a few months back. Didn't really make much of an impression other than how dated it was.

It was never out and out funny but amusing and cleverly written.

By far one of the best comedy/drama sitcoms ever written. Shame David Thewlis was not in the second series, though he does get mentioned a lot. in 1990 david jason won the best comedy actor award for it too. its a classic 2 series with alot changing from each episode. anyone who has been to a do, being it drunk or sober as a judge will see themself and others behaving like anyone in this series.the class divide will always be a burning topic in england for any writer.the casual yet very acute way how all are portrayed here is still relevent to this day.i was a kid when this was on and could not get into watching the bloke who played delboy doing something more adult at the time.after watching this on drama and getting the DVD boxset it was worth revisting it.that's enough praise from me, right iam off to watch coming of age.balamory.

I certainly used to enjoy it "back in the day". It was very well written and performed.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 3rd February 2015, 12:48 PM GMT

I had a bit of a thing about Nicola Pagett, but went off her a bit when she went all weird in real life.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/madly-in-love-how-nicola-pagetts-infatuation-tipped-over-into-obsession-1233638.html

She did have Bipolar disorder!

I like the Reggie Perrin thing of unusual sponsorship, such as the Miss Frozen Chicken competition.