Everybody Loves Raymond
The Good Life - How It Was Made
Frasier
The Big Bang Theory
Paddington
Monkey Life
Sister Act
The Harry Hill Movie

The Good Life one sounds interesting.What I've read,Richard Briers,being a gent,didn't go into detail about his working relationship with the fragrant Felicity but I think it was a bit "rocky"

First I've heard of this prog. but as a fan would like to watch it, any details please. Oh I'll have a look on the schedule here.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th December 2019, 1:11 AM

What I've read,Richard Briers,being a gent,didn't go into detail about his working relationship with the fragrant Felicity but I think it was a bit "rocky"

He has made comments in interviews about her being her own person off set and not really joining in much Good Life team social activity then or since, things like that. Whereas he and Keith were close friends.

Thanks John and Alf for your responses.

The link is here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wyhth

I used to think the series was ok. All these years later, I like it better than I did. It's sharper than I realised and topic wise its time has come round again. I too remember rumours about Felicity but in what I saw of the programme in the link (which was most of it) the harmony between all four actors was emphasised. One thing I have a slight issue with is the Surbiton setting (although it was filmed elsewhere) because other than in the name which sounds like "suburbs" I don't find it as a place especially typical of middle class suburbia. Purley would have been more apt but that was taken by Terry and June.

I'm watching "Where Eagles Dare"- an epic tale of British heroism and resourcefulness in World War II.

Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood are undercover in the German mountains but have just been arrested by Nazi officers and are being driven away in a car for interrogation.

Each of them is under the watchful eye of a Nazi soldier, sitting beside him with a gun.

Suddenly, they start a fight in the car, the car goes out of control and crashes - killing all the German occupants instantly but leaving Richard and Clint totally unscathed and free to carry on their undercover activities.

They don't write 'em like that anymore! Laughing out loud

I usually watch TV at random, not knowing what's coming on. Using this system, I managed to watch Paddington, which was a delightful surprise and a splendid film. It means I also watch a lot of rubbish, such as a large part of Eastenders yesterday.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 24th December 2019, 3:03 PM

The link is here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wyhth One thing I have a slight issue with is the Surbiton setting (although it was filmed elsewhere) because other than in the name which sounds like "suburbs" I don't find it as a place especially typical of middle class suburbia. Purley would have been more apt but that was taken by Terry and June.

Ta I'll catch up with that then. Yes I've forgotten where it was filmed but it looked more like Weybridge than Surbiton.

That was possibly the worse xmas Eve TV I've yet seen, just the one M&W show worth watching. I lasted half an hour of the new Christmas Carol adaption and hated it. I missed the first two, thankfully. Everything about it was wrong and badly written. We are back to the token black character argument again - the first one I've seen in all the different versions and with good reason - there weren't too many knocking about here in 1843.

Her character was all over the place, turning from guilt ridden but willing whore to a forceful Me Too woman giving him a dressing down after having taken the money though, £20 in 1843. What??? That's about £1.2M in today's money. And it also made Scrooge's character all wrong, famously a miser and yet he made her instantly rich for doing nothing. :S Confused, pretentious needless and wrongfully adulterized version of a warm hearted classic. One for the bin, not the Christmas schedule.

Yes, I didn't even bother to attempt the Christmas Carol adaptation. I thought why bother watching it over 3 nights when I can watch the definitive version with Alistair Sim - or even with the Muppets - any time I like.

I quite enjoyed Not Going Out - a bit silly but none the worse for that - and The Vicar of Dibley, even though I've seen it several times before (but isn't that what Christmas is all about?) The Morecambe & Wise shows were on last year (I've still got them recorded on my box) but, as I say...

The Tiger Who Came To Tea (Good)
Toy Story 3 (I liked the toys in it but the plot was too dark for me)
The Two Ronnies.........In Their Own Words (Good - I had seen it before - but I have come to the conclusion I prefer now to see all the best stuff of the 1960s-1990s : comedy and music : in its own right so that I can pretend it is in the here and now (without what sadly happened later))
The Chase - Bloopers
Carry On Abroad

I have also been watching my DVDs of Count Arthur Strong, Mister Ed and Get Smart.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th December 2019, 3:56 AM

Ta I'll catch up with that then. Yes I've forgotten where it was filmed but it looked more like Weybridge than Surbiton.

That was possibly the worse xmas Eve TV I've yet seen, just the one M&W show worth watching. I lasted half an hour of the new Christmas Carol adaption and hated it. I missed the first two, thankfully. Everything about it was wrong and badly written. We are back to the token black character argument again - the first one I've seen in all the different versions and with good reason - there weren't too many knocking about here in 1843.

Her character was all over the place, turning from guilt ridden but willing whore to a forceful Me Too woman giving him a dressing down after having taken the money though, £20 in 1843. What??? That's about £1.2M in today's money. And it also made Scrooge's character all wrong, famously a miser and yet he made her instantly rich for doing nothing. :S Confused, pretentious needless and wrongfully adulterized version of a warm hearted classic. One for the bin, not the Christmas schedule.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th December 2019, 11:49 AM

Yes, I didn't even bother to attempt the Christmas Carol adaptation. I thought why bother watching it over 3 nights when I can watch the definitive version with Alistair Sim - or even with the Muppets - any time I like.

I quite enjoyed Not Going Out - a bit silly but none the worse for that - and The Vicar of Dibley, even though I've seen it several times before (but isn't that what Christmas is all about?) The Morecambe & Wise shows were on last year (I've still got them recorded on my box) but, as I say...

Have avoided A Christmas Carol as I just know the adaptation will be too 21st Century for my liking.

The Good Life properties were in Kewferry Road, Northwood, Middlesex. The programme is interesting on these locations.

Christmas Carol does not need to be updated.There's still miserly employers and poor disadvantaged families about.

I'm watching Carry on up the Khyber. Most of the other stuff looks rubbish. I didn't remember Larry's cartoons in the opening credits.

That's got to be the best one,hasn't it?They are all on form.

Been flicking back and forth to the carry on films on itv 3 noticed they have censored or cut out scenes and jokes it makes you wonder why they show them at that time of day if the channel is going to cut out jokes from a comedy film

Raymond Briggs - Snowmen, Bogeymen and Milkmen
Dolly Parton - Here I Am and Live at Glastonbury
Worzel Gummidge
Paddington 2
Paddington - The Man Behind The Bear
University Challenge

Worzel Gummidge :)

Being a spiritual, over-sensitive and slightly pagan sort (the latter either happens or it doesn't : it isn't chosen), I have been instinctively aware for some years that Mackenzie Crook has from time to time looked into this forum, certainly read all of our comments on Detectorists which included my own and then entered into a subtle dialogue with me in his work. This undoubtedly continues. Given my harshness towards 21st Century comedy and broader culture in general (greatness is now the exception rather than as it once was close to the norm), my huge enthusiasm for that series (I still watch an episode every week), stood out but so too with it my proviso. A pity about the swearing, I wrote, for such a gentle comedy. Shortly afterwards, Andy was permitted to say in a mock critical and loving tone to Becky "sweary". Set in the wider context where f words continued but not to the same extent as in the first couple of episodes, that was essentially the artist's response to me the contributor. Thanks for the great write-up. No full compromise to you but yer comments are appreciated and acknowledged. I felt appreciative and even charmed by it. He is a rare and very special figure in our midst.

So to Worzel Gummige. Few diatribes from me carry my own unique stamp if they don't have a personal somewhat uncanny connection. When I was a very young child, it wasn't just that in the woods behind the garden gate, young boy Mears was in short trousers teaching himself about bushcraft but Dr Who - Jon Pertwee to you and me - lived in the big house behind our village pond. That local connection, though, was not enough to lure me into the world of Worzel and the delightful Una Stubbs. In truth I had moved on by that time in my head although not in geographical location. Walking the hills and dales of our very English countryside (the best in the world) and not that I knew it ultimately heading towards the Tor, the special tree from biblical times and Arthur's Seat. And in two simultaneous periods trotting down regularly to Rottingdean if not to rediscover the Copper Family (albeit that came later) for a round of pitch and putt by the windmill.

Had I ever been baptised? The question was asked of me in 1981 by a school friend who is now a vicar in Portsmouth with a specific role in helping the homeless and the otherwise dispossessed. I don't know, I said. I was Christened at the Church of St John. Unbeknown to him, I was channelling Van Morrison's "Summertime in England" from "Common One". Check out the cover for a rambling pictorial reference. Then you have, he said, but you have never been confirmed. To this day, I have never had confirmation. But along the way Google arrived. That church which is just across the aforementioned pond and has for its age what I can only describe as a slightly disappointing architecture turns out to have been on one axis point of the golden triangle of London ley lines. None of its parishioners have ever known it. Obviously I was delighted to hear this news. And rather than being especially interested in where the other two axis points in London were, what leapt out at me was that the triangle spreads much wider ley line wise to the west and the south. Its destinations? Glastonbury of Arthurian fame, west, and as for south, gor blimey, Rottingdean. Ooh-er. Ooh-ah. I'm a magnet to these ooh like things.