What are you watching on TV? Page 2,149

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th May 2019, 10:29 PM

I love the enthusiasm of Maggie Aderin-Pocock and she looks like Randy Crawford. I wonder what her rendition of Almaz is like.

Oh no! What you have said is exactly why I've gone off the programme as her "gushing" and "noddies" gets on my tits. I have to watch the recording now and fast forward the bits she is on - spoilt what was once such a good prog.

After Patrick died (God rest his soul) it was Chris and Lucie Green, but then she was dropped, and this car rear window mascot was introduced - get her off!!

I'm just watching the BAFTA awards trying to work out on what basis the singers were selected for the young people's choir that sang the opening song.

I've already ruled out "ability to sing".

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th May 2019, 12:38 AM

I'm just watching the BAFTA awards trying to work out on what basis the singers were selected for the young people's choir that sang the opening song.

I've already ruled out "ability to sing".

Just how live was it when they managed to bleep out two swear words? I know they do delay live broadcasts for a few seconds so someone with a buzzer has time to "delete" the offending word, but is it still live?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th May 2019, 7:13 AM

Just how live was it when they managed to bleep out two swear words? I know they do delay live broadcasts for a few seconds so someone with a buzzer has time to "delete" the offending word, but is it still live?

I'll give you a clue how live it was: the ceremony began at 6:45 pm in real life but the broadcast didn't start till 9 pm.

The version we see on TV is substantially edited.

The BBC is, as ever these days, broadcasting fiction under the guise of fact.

They didn't manage to bleep out the swear words on Sky news Sunday afternoon when Man City had won the premiership title.
They have since bleeped it out on all reports but live, a fan leaned in front of the reporter and shouted Scouse C**ts

Fair makes ya chuckle Sunday afternoon

Like the time someone called the group 5 Star f**king crap on a live children's TV phone in awhile back,

Found series four of Lucifer on Netflix. Very happy. It was on the verge of being cancelled, but they got a new series...and I am absolutely loving it. Only two episodes watched so far...can't wait to watch the rest.

Just started to watch the episode of WILTY with Jo Brand in it. She never fails to make me laugh.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th May 2019, 9:34 AM

Like the time someone called the group 5 Star f**king crap on a live children's TV phone in awhile back,

:D I remember watching that because I never missed Going Live. It was a time when I got up early enough on Saturdays to watch morning television. I certainly got up to Sarah Greene Whistling nnocently

A programme where the descendants of many of the prominent Nazis are being interviewed - what parents/ grandparents told them, how they feel about it all (mainly horrified). Really interesting. Puts a new slant on researching your ancestors.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 13th May 2019, 7:18 PM

:D I remember watching that because I never missed Going Live. It was a time when I got up early enough on Saturdays to watch morning television. I certainly got up to Sarah Greene Whistling nnocently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkB25V_ow8

I notice that on the BAFTA awards show, they had up-and-coming comedian/actress Lolly Adefope announce one of the winners.

That girl really must know where the bodies are buried at the Beeb.

Either that or somebody in power at the BBC is a seriously weird fetishist.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th May 2019, 9:40 PM

I notice that on the BAFTA awards show, they had up-and-coming comedian/actress Lolly Adefope announce one of the winners.

That girl really must know where the bodies are buried at the Beeb.

Either that or somebody in power at the BBC is a seriously weird fetishist.

Is that tongue in cheek? Why should Lolly not be picked on merit alone to present an award and it must be down to blackmail or positive discrimination and why would the person at the BBC who chose Lolly need to make the decision based on a fetish? It all sounds a tad inherently discriminatory.

I don't know her work apart from she is in Ghosts which I have not yet seen and she was in This Time. I thought she was excellent in that and worked well with Steve. The one where she pretends she can't hear him was the highlight of the series. I just checked her IMDB page and would consider her 'established' rather than 'up-and-coming'.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 13th May 2019, 10:21 PM

It all sounds a tad inherently discriminatory.

There is no discrimination whatever, inherent or otherwise.

Lolly is female - and so is Katherine Ryan (who is absolutely brilliant).

Lolly is black - and so is Gina Yashere (who is absolutely brilliant).

Lolly is overweight - and so was Hattie Jacques (who was absolutely brilliant).

My earnest belief, however, is that she is, for some reason, getting more TV exposure than is merited by her talents.

The snag is that if I express that belief or complain in any other way about the way diversity quotas are affecting the quality of TV programming in Britain, people start waving the race card.

If anybody wishes to express the view that Lolly has all the talents necessary to justify her career progression to date, that's absolutely fine by me.

I just hope they'll respect my view on the matter as much as I respect theirs.

PS. Above, I have given examples of a female person, a black person and a fat person - each with tremendous comedic talents. Perhaps I would have done better to roll all the examples into one?

On that basis, I give you a fat black woman who, as a comedian, is absolutely effing sensational - and more than a match for any thin white comedian with a penis!

Ms Pat is one of my absolute favourite comedians in the whole world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SyH5QsaxQ

But what about the weird fetish remark? Views are one thing but you have mentioned several times about your issue with the success of Lolly Adefope and the exposure she is enjoying but have yet to provide solid evidence this is wrong or violating some broadcasting rule. If it's not doing any of that where is the problem?

But of course I respect you have an opinion and that you are learned I just don't think discussions about how black actresses are getting an unfair advantage are positive. You can suggest other candidates like Katherine and Gina who are great and even throw in the standard obesity reference for good measure but they chose Lolly. There is no point in sour grapes.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 13th May 2019, 11:20 PM

you have mentioned several times about your issue with the success of Lolly Adefope and the exposure she is enjoying but have yet to provide solid evidence this is wrong or violating some broadcasting rule. If it's not doing any of that where is the problem?

The BBC cancelled a recent episode of HIGNFY and several BCG members were unhappy about the cancellation.

It is I think noteworthy that you didn't challenge any of them to provide solid evidence that the cancellation was wrong or in violation of some broadcasting rule.

In fact, I can't remember a single instance where a person on BCG expressed discontent with any aspect of television and was challenged to provide solid evidence that the thing or person complained about was essentially wrong or in violation of some broadcasting rule.

I wonder why this particular complaint by my good self is being so challenged?