The Show What You Wrote Page 38

I think the Frankenstein sketch from the trailer was the pick, though there were others I liked. I'd say some sketches were nice ideas that didn't really get a chance to develop: the obsession with short sketches and runners meant that some potentially great sketches were merely decent. And, yes, too many parodies for my liking, and with the brief in mind, but clearly that's what the audience wanted - they would crack up whenever a film line was quoted, mystifyingly.

There were only two film parody sketches.

That's your first post after being a member for 5 years damfino. You must feel pretty strongly about the inaccuracies in this thread. :P

Not really. The Internet's been down.

For five f**king years? You need to change your service provider pronto.

Quote: Will Cam @ June 28 2013, 4:32 PM BST

That's your first post after being a member for 5 years damfino. You must feel pretty strongly about the inaccuracies in this thread. :P

How, when he's only done two posts both on this thread?

EDIT: Oh, I see-registered, but didn't post.

The biggest laugh from me was realising at the end that Gyles Brandreth was actually playing himself in the 'Whicker Island' sketch.

I thought it was one of the cast doing a passable impression!

Wales

I agree that there seems to be an obsession with very short sketches.
But there was a lot that worked really well.
In particular I thought Brandreth was great and, of course, the emu sketch.
But the Arnie thing has some great lines and the frozen baby had a sweet payoff.

Well done everyone involved.

Quote: Jinky @ June 30 2013, 12:23 AM BST

The biggest laugh from me was realising at the end that Gyles Brandreth was actually playing himself in the 'Whicker Island' sketch.

I thought it was one of the cast doing a passable impression!

Wales

Considering I've already told you on this thread that he was going to be in it-and it must surely say elsewhere on the web-that doesn't say much for the show. Okay, maybe you still didn't know.

Not another rip off of M. Python!

I did wonder about the Giles one - whether it was written by someone who had a fairly good idea he would be free to record it or whether they liked it so much they actually contacted him especially (or he just happened to be hanging around nearby in between a break from the one show and JaM).

The other possibility is that Giles Brandreth doesn't really exist and is just an elaborate sound effect that has achieved self awareness and so can be used in any sketch you like.

So you're saying a sound effect was elected as a Tory MP. Sounds very plausible to me.

'Tis on!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ July 4 2013, 11:00 PM BST

'Tis on!

Better two word reviews:

Brilliant listen!
Hot stuff!
Excellent show!
Spot on!
Match That!
Right on!

Worse two word reviews-well you can make your own ones up...

The theme is 'crime/thrillers' and somebody sent in a sketch about Bullseye?

I wonder how many ringers are in the credits....

Anyway, I've learned one thing from this: Average script? Do loads of regional accents.

I'm enjoying it, makes a refreshing change from the topical and it's got a good vibe, some of the sketches aren't what I would have expected for the themes but that gives an idea of what they are looking for for future reference.