Spaced Page 7

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ May 29 2013, 11:43 AM BST

Alcohol is a poorer experience without the hangover inducing effect. But still it makes you tired.

Ok, that was a poor analogy, sorry.

The direction doesn't tire me out, I love it. I wish more sitcoms had a bit of invention and character behind the camera.

I like him, but visually Edgar Wright's a magpie. He doesn't have a style of his own, but is very good at pilfering the styles of others and passing them off as homages.

Homage or spoof.

Just finished watching this for the first time. There was some funny moments, and I found the 2 series to be mildly entertaining.

5/10, for me.

I enjoyed watching it, especially series 1, but I never felt the urge of re-watching it. As with most of the new stuff these days.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:42 PM BST

I enjoyed watching it, especially series 1, but I never felt the urge of re-watching it. As with most of the new stuff these days.

New? It's over 10 years old now.

Quote: chipolata @ May 29 2013, 11:51 AM BST

I like him, but visually Edgar Wright's a magpie. He doesn't have a style of his own, but is very good at pilfering the styles of others and passing them off as homages.

Genius steals?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:42 PM BST

I agree. Though I do feel that if I go and watch all those Star Wars etc films then re-watch it will mean a lot more and should enjoy it more. A lot of it just went over my head.

I've never properly watched the Star Wars films and Spaced is one of my favourite programmes. I think some people put a lot of importance on the homage scenes that doesn't need to be there. It's an added bonus if you spot an homage, but they're not an essential element. There are probably dozens that went over my head - scenes that I think are just scenes, not homages. Luckily they work either way.

Quote: zooo @ October 10 2013, 10:02 AM BST

I've never properly watched the Star Wars films and Spaced is one of my favourite programmes. I think some people put a lot of importance on the homage scenes that doesn't need to be there. It's an added bonus if you spot an homage, but they're not an essential element. There are probably dozens that went over my head - scenes that I think are just scenes, not homages. Luckily they work either way.

Fair point. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed watching it, especially the paint-ball episode and Mark Heap bits but during some parts I fellt a massive fomo, knowing there was something I was missing.

Plus those films should proably be watched anyway. An excuse to watch Spaced again would just be an added bonus

I seem to remember Wright and Pegg being quite scornful about a Reservoir Dogs parody in Moffat's Coupling. Which I thought was a bit harsh.

I only watched the whole of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest recently. It was rather fun spotting the Spaced bits!

Quote: zooo @ October 10 2013, 10:36 AM BST

I only watched the whole of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest recently.

:O

Although that was one of the best homageries.

Spaced fans!

Have started a fan podcast, A Spaced Odyssey (you may have already guessed from my username that titles aren't my strong point. Puns, though) in which we recap each episode and discuss our love for all things Wright/Pegg/Hynes/Frost. Episode One is now up!

http://aspacedodyssey.tumblr.com/

Quote: Aaron @ 6th August 2007, 7:37 PM BST

I've said on a number of occasions that IMO, Shaun of the Dead started out pretty well, but then just turned into poo. It really felt like they ran out of material after about 50 minutes, and were rushed to finishing it by the production schedule. Not funny, and comes over all emotional and moral and generally boring.

Spaced, on the other hand, whilst kind of entertaining, wasn't funny at any point.

I don't like SOTD either, despite everyone else raving about it. I do like Spaced though.

Quote: kate to the party @ 1st February 2016, 8:53 AM GMT

Spaced fans!

Have started a fan podcast, A Spaced Odyssey (you may have already guessed from my username that titles aren't my strong point. Puns, though) in which we recap each episode and discuss our love for all things Wright/Pegg/Hynes/Frost. Episode One is now up!

http://aspacedodyssey.tumblr.com/

Thanks Kate, I'm re-watching the show at the moment and will have a look at your Tumblr site.