Spaced Page 6

I just watched that five minutes of Spaced (US). Was I still supposed to be clueless as to what was happening, despite knowing all about British Spaced?

Dan

Quote: deckard @ March 8 2010, 12:45 AM GMT

Yes, there is hours of viewing fun on the American release. However, I am not interested in the least to hear what American celebrities have to say about Spaced, In fact, it would probably kill the show for me.

I'd be pretty keen to hear what Patton Oswalt and Tarantino have to say about Spaced myself. Oswalt's a fantastic comedian with years of script doctoring experience and Tarantino provided the basis for at least a couple of Spaced reference gags. It's not like they're supermarket magazine celebrities with nothing to offer in the way of insight, is it?

Quote: swerytd @ March 8 2010, 9:52 AM GMT

I just watched that five minutes of Spaced (US). Was I still supposed to be clueless as to what was happening, despite knowing all about British Spaced?

Dan

To be fair, it was a heavily edited version of the pilot with large chunks of story missing. Still shite though. That said, I disliked the American Office until is moved away from the British scripts and started doing its own thing, so who knows where this might have led? Probably nowhere given the shitty casting.

Quote: deckard @ March 8 2010, 12:45 AM GMT

Yes, there is hours of viewing fun on the American release. However, I am not interested in the least to hear what American celebrities have to say about Spaced, In fact, it would probably kill the show for me.

As David pointed out, these are not "celebrities"... these are genuinely cool people. Perhaps I should have been more clear they aren't alone spouting opinions on Spaced; some combination of Spaced people join them and it is much more a discussion. Jessica, Edgar and Simon are all there with Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, Tarantino and Diablo Cody. Patton Oswalt I recall was just with Edgar Wright.

Sounds like a 'documentary' about a programme/film/band, but when you put it on, it's just 'celebrity fans' talking about how much they like it.

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2010, 5:27 PM GMT

Sounds like a 'documentary' about a programme/film/band, but when you put it on, it's just 'celebrity fans' talking about how much they like it.

^^^This.

If they are just ordinary people talking about comedy, then I would just as well come here to hear that.

So, my friends bought me the boxset Spaced on DVD for my birthday as "something you should watch", but having never seen any of it before, I'm a little overwhelmed. Can anyone recommend any ways to watch it to make it, I dunno, easier? I'm just worried I'll feel bits are lost on me.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 16 2010, 9:20 PM BST

So, my friends bought me the boxset Spaced on DVD for my birthday as "something you should watch", but having never seen any of it before, I'm a little overwhelmed. Can anyone recommend any ways to watch it to make it, I dunno, easier? I'm just worried I'll feel bits are lost on me.

Doesn't matter. I like the same sort of stuff Pegg et al like but a lot of the references go whooshing over my head. Just enjoy it as a warmheated and funny sitcom about friendship.

If you mean the bits that are homages to famous films and stuff, don't worry about it. I only get about half of them, but it seems to be written so that it still works if you don't know the scene you're watching is an homage at all.

Aside from that it's just a normal simple sitcom! Just watch it and see if you enjoy it. :)

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 16 2010, 9:20 PM BST

Easier?! It's just a silly, funny sitcom! Watch and enjoy!

There's actually a homage-o-meter available on the DVD that subtitles the references for those that aren't too pop culture savvy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 16 2010, 11:25 PM BST

Easier?! It's just a silly, funny sitcom! Watch and enjoy!

It just daunted me a bit I guess. :$

I watched one ep years ago and decided it wasn't for me. I think it was a much more pop culturey one and it turned me off. It was only when I was surprised how much I liked Hot Fuzz (haven't seen SOTD yet) I thought I'd look at it again on a repeat channel. Well, this ep was very good, and I'm sure I'm seeing it with new eyes since watching Hot Fuzz.

Direction apart (it can be a bit much imo) the writing and acting was much better than I imagined it would be, especially the story writing. If I hadn't have decided to give HF a go I'd never have given Pegg & co the credit it looks like they deserve. Their work's much more professional and writerly than I assumed it was or would be. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 29 2013, 11:25 AM BST

Direction apart (it can be a bit much imo)...

The overstuffed direction worked brilliantly for me at first (I regarded it as a spoof of modern day so called cool and inventive directing)...but became tiring after a while.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ May 29 2013, 11:32 AM BST

The overstuffed direction worked brilliantly for me at first (I regarded it as a spoof of modern day so called cool and inventive directing)...but became tiring after a while.

Tiring? Spaced without the direction of Edgar Wright is a poorer show.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2013, 11:37 AM BST

Tiring? Spaced without the direction of Edgar Wright is a poorer show.

Alcohol is a poorer experience without the hangover inducing effect. But still it makes you tired.

Ok, that was a poor analogy, sorry.