Goodnight Sweetheart Page 16

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th July 2016, 9:35 AM BST

Read on the text that this was being done as part of the celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of Hancock's first appearance on the BBC?

Don't see the connection..... :S

They're sitcoms.

Yes, Marks & Gran are writing the script for this special episode.

Laurence tells me he has put an entry about it on their blog.

http://www.marksandgran.com

Quote: Aaron @ 6th July 2016, 11:51 AM BST

They're sitcoms.

You don't say :O ...........still don't see the connection, and could understand it if it was say an OFAH celebration.

I'm too young to have watched all of this but the premise sounds awesome. I watched an episode on Dailymotion yesterday and it was pretty good. Out of all the new specials this is the one which I'm most looking forward to it. If it's any good, a full series would be great. Though, the1940s is more interesting era to explore than the 60s.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th July 2016, 12:17 PM BST

You don't say :O ...........still don't see the connection, and could understand it if it was say an OFAH celebration.

You misunderstood the piece. It's BBC sitcoms in general being celebrated, not just Hancock. Hence all these new episodes of classic sitcoms

Is that because there were no British sitcoms before 1956?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 6th July 2016, 8:50 PM BST

You misunderstood the piece. It's BBC sitcoms in general being celebrated, not just Hancock.

Don't be too hard on him, he's from Barcelona...

Quote: WarmWasp @ 9th December 2015, 12:28 AM GMT

The main draw really is the time-travel element; it's a really interesting idea for a traditional sitcom. My problem with it is Lyndhurst is appalling. When I'm watching him it feels like Lyndhurst's life is like 'Being John Malkovich' or some other Charlie Kaufman project whereby Lyndhurst is actually the sitcom in which he does actually live multiple lives as Gary Sparrow, 90s Sparrow, Adam Parkinson, Ashley Phillips and Rodney Trotter.

Nicholas is the real comedy character. Pity he's so unconvincing as anything other than a 'plonker'

Check out David Copperfield...

Quote: george roper @ 5th July 2016, 9:04 PM BST

I'm looking forward to this but I hope they have brought Phoebe into the present day, not in 1940.

It wouldn't be in the 40s it would be 1962, I hope they don't make it so anyone but Gary can come back to the present, I'd love it to be set back in the 60s. Obviously if they are doing a one off episode it's going to have a full series if it's popular.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th July 2016, 10:56 PM BST

Don't be too hard on him, he's from Barcelona...

Que?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 6th July 2016, 8:50 PM BST

You misunderstood the piece. It's BBC sitcoms in general being celebrated, not just Hancock. Hence all these new episodes of classic sitcoms

Then they should have said that i.e. celebrating 60 years of sitcoms since Hancock's first at the Beeb........*puts nit-picking comb back in Moroccan leather manicure pouch ready for next time*

YES. My most favourite sitcom of all time is coming back. I watch Goodnight Sweetheart regularly and always feel a sense of sadness when I near the end of Series 6. I love everything about it, I have always wondered what Phoebe would say to Gary when hearing songs in the 60s that she thought he wrote etc. I would love to see what Ron is up to now also. Can't wait for this, hope it is a one hour special at Christmas.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 7th July 2016, 1:27 PM BST

Can't wait for this, hope it is a one hour special at Christmas.

Currently it's a half hour special in September.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th July 2016, 2:51 PM BST

Currently it's a half hour special in September.

Wait, so they're reintroducing all the characters, and getting through a plot in just a half hour special? I would have thought an hour long would serve it better

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 7th July 2016, 4:22 PM BST

Wait, so they're reintroducing all the characters, and getting through a plot in just a half hour special? I would have thought an hour long would serve it better

That's how it currently stands.

I would say a full series is almost guaranteed though.