Tumbleweed Comedy on Fun Kids Radio

I've posted this up at the request of Alex and Rachel, a couple of the Live From Kirrin Island cast.

Dan
=================================================
Tumbleweed Comedy on Fun Kids Radio

We are making a comedy show for Fun Kids Radio containing sketches and songs, aimed at children aged 12 and under. We aim to have one or two 15min shows ready to use on-air/podcast over Christmas with a view to producing a series in the New Year.

Sketches should be quite short, no more than 2 pages, although recurring sketches are welcomed, as are longer sketches split up over a number of episodes. The cast will consist of 2 males and 2 females, so bear this in mind when submitting sketches.

As the pilot episode(s) is for Christmas, it would be ideal to have some Christmas themed sketches. We would also like generic sketches that are relevant at any time of year (e.g. homework, siblings, music trends,etc.) and some that refer back to things that have happened in 2012 (e.g. Olympics, Celebrity antics, X-Factor, etc.) We really are open to any ideas.

The show will be hosted by Alex and the other Fun Kids presenters. If a scene needs an introduction, please write this into the script. If it is possible to set the scene without the need of the presenter, even better.

What I've learnt since presenting on Fun Kids, and you probably know this already, is that young listeners consider themselves to be older than they actually are. Younger children aspire to be like their older siblings and can lose interest very quickly if they feel they are being patronised. What makes I'm Sorry I've Got No Head and Horrible Histories so successful, is that they play the comedy grown-up and trust that the kids will catch-up. Although saying that, kids love silliness. Silly, gross and farty, but somehow still quite sophisticated. Kids are tricky...

We will record the Christmas episode at the end of November, so we aim to finalise a script by 20th November. As I mentioned before, there is sadly no money in the project at this time, but we will credit writers at the end of each episode and we'll make sure the people at CBBC know all about it. Please feel free to forward this on to anyone else you know who may have an interest in writing comedy for children.

We are really excited to hear what everyone comes up with. When you have any sketches ready, please send them to info@tumbleweedcomedy.co.uk and we'll present them to the Fun Kids bosses.

Many thanks,

Alex and Rachel

Is this a paid oppo?

'there is sadly no money in this at this time'.

Dan

No problemo

Is November 20th the closing date for submissions - or do they have to be sent before then?

I think the earlier the better, but the 20th Nov is the cut-off point. I would say 18th is the latest realistically, if you don't want them to rush through your sketch dismissing them cos they don't have time.

Dan

Awesome, will submit soon

Good opp and a good chance to write for a different audience

Has anyone had any luck with this opportunity?

I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying they were considering sketches. No word since.

I got a fairly positive email about two weeks ago but not heard anything since.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ December 6 2012, 7:44 PM GMT

I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying they were considering sketches. No word since.

Quote: Jeremy Dillon @ December 6 2012, 8:27 PM GMT

I got a fairly positive email about two weeks ago but not heard anything since.

Yep, pretty much the same for me too.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ December 6 2012, 7:44 PM GMT

I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying they were considering sketching me like a French girl. No word since.

I think you might have emailed the movie Titanic.

Laughing out loud

I'm told the plan is to broadcast this show (which will be sketches intercut with music) on Boxing Day and bring out a podcast of it in the new year.