Want to write good full-length script? A solution

London/Middlesex

Do you like writing characters but get fed up with plotting, stage directions, formatting and visuals?

Do you want to write a good full-length script that shows visual panache and expertise with plot?

Do you like thrillers and horrors?

Former TV director seeks writing partner. My experience: directing TV, co-writing thriller (entirely on spec) later filmed by BBC and sold to Hollywood.

Your experience: none except you've done good work. Absolutely no need to have already written a full screenplay.

Happy to have official agreement on credits: if I direct, you get the solo writing credit; if budget demands a bigger director, then it's a shared writing credit.

PS Must love movies. If you're going to write a script that sells, it helps if you love the product.

PPS Really not looking for people with written screenplays. I'm not starting out with a specific story either. Good ideas come from collaborative thinking.

Can I ask why, if you've worked on a film that was sold to Hollywood, you're looking to work with amateurs like us?

(Of course there are some professional writers here, I accept. But obviously no one wants to work with them, which is why they hang out here.)

And are you looking for comedy writers in particular?

grew up and found myself directing Emmerdale and EastEnders.

How do we know you're genuine and not telling porkies?

He never mentioned directing Emmerdale and EastEnders anytime on October 20 as he edited his opening post on October 19.

But, yes, it looks dodgy.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 20 2012, 1:00 AM BST

He never mentioned directing Emmerdale and EastEnders anytime on October 20 as he edited his opening post on October 19.

The Emmerdale/Eastenders bit is on his profile.

"Made wee films as a teen; grew up and found myself directing Emmerdale and EastEnders. Which is why I took to screenwriting.

Only successful at latter with co-writers... but success at this included sale of thriller script to Hollywood.

Co-writers stopped writing due to family and geography; now looking for new collaborations."

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 20 2012, 1:00 AM BST

Says he with his locked "writers basement" when are you letting Alan Bennett out? He's a national treasure.

Disconcerting to find my own post described as 'dodgy'. For the record:

Directed 6 eps of Emmerdale, 4 of EastEnders. Numerous other well-reviewed documentaries and drama-docs (all reviews available - include being praised by name in The Times, Evening Standard and Scotsman).

Sale of script to Hollywood was reported in Variety, which also named me as original co-writer, as is normal with script sales. Happy to make this available; although the news/sale was in 2000 the link to the story still seems to function.

Wow, aren't we a friendly bunch!

Hi Thriller fan, welcome to BCG.
Are you particularly interested in developing comedy-thrillers?

Quote: Thriller fan @ October 20 2012, 11:32 AM BST

Directed 6 eps of Emmerdale, 4 of EastEnders. Numerous other well-reviewed documentaries and drama-docs

Sale of script to Hollywood was reported in Variety, which also named me as original co-writer

Are you on the IMDb?

An IMDb listing would seem like the best way to remove any doubt here.

If you don't want to advertise who you are to the entire internet I guess there's always PM :)

Quote: AJGO @ October 20 2012, 12:15 PM BST

Wow, aren't we a friendly bunch!

Hi Thriller fan, welcome to BCG.
Are you particularly interested in developing comedy-thrillers?

Thanks.

It's a good question; I'm not sure it's easy to answer. 'Comedy thriller' can act as a label for a simple lack of thrills. If so, no. Whereas genuine thriller tension relieved by sharp dialogue, yes. But that includes the heavier sort of thriller too.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ October 19 2012, 5:20 PM BST

Can I ask why, if you've worked on a film that was sold to Hollywood, you're looking to work with amateurs like us?

(Of course there are some professional writers here, I accept. But obviously no one wants to work with them, which is why they hang out here.)

And are you looking for comedy writers in particular?

Fair questions. First, though the script was sold, and even appeared against a top director's name on the IMDb for six months, it was never filmed.

Re working with amateurs. When I sat down to write the script, there was no reason to think it would ever find its way to Hollywood. We were working entirely on spec: ie as 'amateurs'.

Why comedy writers? There's a sharpness to good dialogue that comedy experience seems to enhance. 'Serious' writers, say in the Writers Guild (I've met and read quite a few) sometimes miss the lightness of touch that comedy can bring to character. That's my experience, anyway.

Good writers write good. Doesn't matter in what genre. :)

Quote: Marc P @ October 20 2012, 3:43 PM BST

Good writers write good. Doesn't matter in what genre. :)

Write well, Marc.

This is all very odd.
It's either the opportunity of a lifetime for someone.
Or a one-way trip to some strange basement in the London/Middx area.