Struggling To "Write" Stand-up Comedy Material?

If you are struggling to "write" stand-up comedy material that gets the big laughs...

Are you able to pinpoint what the issue is?

If so, let me know and I may be able to point you to an article that can help.

I found this forum from members who were providing links to my blog for comedians and found it very professional and helpful -- much more so than anything that is US based.

I can tell you in advance that there is a HUGE difference between trying to "write" funny from a piece of paper or word processor and developing stand-up comedy material that is designed to be expressed to an audience.

Like I said, just let me know and I will do what I can to share a bit about what I know when it comes to developing stand-up comedy material. :)

Well I can't fault you on the confidence front as you come across as being very knowledgeable.
If I had one question it would be 'Are you wearing a white coat and holding a clipboard' or do you dress normally?

Pretty much in a t-shirt and shorts most of the time. :)

If you want to know where my confidence comes from when it comes to stand-up comedy education, you can Google my name or check out http://steveroye.com.

My apologies if I came across as brash. Not my intent at all.

You played the Christian comedy convention and the ventriloquists convention?

So you're pretty good at writing jokes for mindless puppets then.

Actually, I couldn't "write" a joke to save my mom if she was being held hostage.

And I didn't perform there - I taught the stand-up comedy education aspect at those events.

Like I said initially, there is a HUGE difference between trying to "write" stand-up comedy material (one dimensional -- working with just crafted words) and developing stand-up comedy material that is designed to be expressed to an audience (three dimensional -- working with all performance aspects).

A lot easier to develop too. :)

And while I certainly appreciate the vetting process here...

Again, I was was just looking to see if folks had some specific issues with developing stand-up comedy material that I may be able to address in some meaningful way.

Fair enough?

The last I expressed at an audience, I got given a mop and asked to clean the mess up.

Bummer. Note to self: It is probably prudent to know what one is doing when attempting to entertain an audience as a comedian. :D

Well I thought it was funny (shame the courts didnt)

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2012, 12:08 PM BST

Well I thought it was funny (shame the courts didnt)

Now that IS funny. :)

This is a PERFECT example of how words alone as read didn't initially convey your intent. And I simply reacted to what you had said without truly knowing your angle.

But your follow-up statement made it clear and I finally got the initial joke.

Thanks for that!

Hey you seem a standup guy (geddit) I guess people could do worse than listen to you.

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2012, 1:11 PM BST

Hey you seem a standup guy (geddit) I guess people could do worse than listen to you.

They usually do worse. That's why I want to see if I can help in some small way.

Thanks for posting on this thread. I'm a newbie here and folks don't know anything about me (except maybe to assume that I'm just another arrogant Yank).

Your comments help for sure. Hopefully my replies do too. :D

Could I see a pic of you from the front please?

Quote: Charley @ October 16 2012, 11:36 PM BST

Could I see a pic of you from the front please?

Ha! That's not me - it was actually a guy holding a suitcase that my graphics guy integrated in front of an audience.

Even if it was me, that would be my best side.
;)

:)

No, I'm struggling to "write" a play.