Benny Hill Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2012, 5:58 PM BST

Is it? What DVD is that?

It's available on region 1 American DVD. A compilation of his BBC stuff

Ah, The Lost Years? Thought you were referring to a domestic release.

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2012, 6:01 PM BST

Ah, The Lost Years? Thought you were referring to a domestic release.

No but it plays on my DVD, I have quite a few American releases, Carry on Laughing boxset etc.

Quote: Pingl @ October 13 2012, 5:09 PM BST

The US was good to Hill, as was France and most of Europe,

Maybe, but he was only known here for the dumb stuff. And see how he was portrayed in a Simpsons episode (as that girl chasing fool, if you haven't seen it). I don't think these countries see him as a comedy genius but as guilty pleasure. But that's no problem here because comedy as a whole is regarded as a guilty pleasure in Europe and USA. Not as in Britain where comedy seems to be as some sort of status symbol or higher art form. For a comedy snob it's easy to dismiss Hill as a dumb sexist. But you at least have the chance to see the whole picture i.e. Hill's early works. Here in Europe it's unknown

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 13 2012, 6:04 PM BST

Maybe, but he was only known here for the dumb stuff. And see how he was portrayed in a Simpsons episode (as that girl chasing fool, if you haven't seen it). I don't think these countries see him as a comedy genius but as guilty pleasure. But that's no problem here because comedy as a whole is regarded as a guilty pleasure in Europe and USA. Not as in Britain where comedy seems to be as some sort of status symbol or higher art form.

Chaplin called Hill the greatest clown of his generation. I don't think Hill saw himself as an artist, just as someone who wanted to make people laugh. I have no problem with him being regarded as a guilty pleasure, the Carry On films fall into the same catagory for many. The Simpsons has, I think quite a British sensibility in many of its jokes, nothing wrong with that. Benny Hill was a funny man who entertained three generations, like him or not he doesn't deserve the reputation he has gained as the King of Smut. He was in fact a lot less smutty than many others who worked in the same era, and a lot cleverer.

Quote: Pingl @ October 13 2012, 6:11 PM BST

The Simpsons has, I think quite a British sensibility in many of its jokes, nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely agree. But I brought up that example because in that particular episode Homer said something about the 'subtle British humour' in the next second the family ran around in fast forward style with Benny Hill music from the off. The joke of the scene was that Hill (at least in his later career) was NOT an example fur subtlety or for British humour in general. But that shows also how Hill was seen in the States. But you're right, they like him there.

Little of his work is very memorable to me in the way the Ronnies were. Most of it was derivative of his own act 20 years before when he was perhaps genuinely innovative.

His fans seem to be a load of old bores who talk more about how he was stabbed in the back by 'namby pamby pc feminists' at 80s ITV than recalling any of his material.

I understand he is feted by French intellectuals who rank his comedic genius on a par with Mr Bean. Nuff said.

Quote: youngian @ October 13 2012, 10:44 PM BST

Little of his work is very memorable to me in the way the Ronnies were. Most of it was derivative of his own act 20 years before when he was perhaps genuinely innovative.

His fans seem to be a load of old bores who talk more about how he was stabbed in the back by 'namby pamby pc feminists' at 80s ITV than recalling any of his material.

I understand he is feted by French intellectuals who rank his comedic genius on a par with Mr Bean. Nuff said.

Funnily enough I link Hill and Ronnie Barker, they both loved silent comedy, Futtocks End etc, both loved word play etc. While Barker is feted Benny is damned.

I reckon he's only damned by those who just hate his humour and his popularity, but there have always been a lot of clueless people in this world. Among those with taste and sound critical faculties he is very highly rated.

He was of his time which was the politically correct 70s. I used to laugh and enjoy the stockings in equal measures!

As much as I hate to agree with anything Alfred J Kipper says, and it strains every nerve in my system, on this occasion I have to. Frankie Howerd who died on the same day, was just as racy, Up Pompeii! etc and no one seems to have a problem there. The reason he wasn't used as a scapegoat by a generation of hungry comedians who were keen to overthrow the status quo. Watch Hill then judge, especially from the 1950s - late 1970s, you will be surprised.

I've got a story about how Benny Hill once saved me from spending time in a Texan jailhouse that I really must remember to tell you all some time.

Quote: Pingl @ October 16 2012, 9:27 AM BST

Frankie Howerd who died on the same day

Day before. Frankie on 19th April, Benny on 20th. So the coroner judged.

Quote: Aaron @ October 16 2012, 10:14 AM BST

April, Benny on 20th.

My dad's birthday too. And Hitler's.

Now that's what I call a claim to fame.