Need help finding the name of a show

I'm looking for the name of a British show about these people who worked in a department store. I watched this show went I was young. In the 80s or 90s. I only remember a few things like there was an older lady and every week her hair was a different colour and she worked in the shoe department. There was a gay man who worked in the women department. The show came on Saturday night after "Keeping Up Appearences". Any info on the name of this show would be great. Thanks so much!!

Are You Being Served?.

Yes that's it..... I love that show

Was this on TV in America?

Can't imagine Keeping up Appearances being popular there!

Very British

Quote: lofthouse @ October 10 2012, 10:39 PM BST

Can't imagine Keeping up Appearances being popular there!

Very British

I think Keeping Up Appearances is actually quite popular over here. It's been airing on my PBS station regularly for years. It, along with Are You Being Served? and As Time Goes By all stay in their regular rotation of shows.

Another reason that I figure KUA must pretty popular in the U.S. is the BBC have actually released it on region 1 DVD in its entirety. A lot of shows don't get that complete of a DVD release here.

Quote: lofthouse @ October 10 2012, 10:39 PM BST

Can't imagine Keeping Up Appearances being popular there!

Very British

Gosh, shows like Keeping Up Appearances are INCREDIBLY popular in the US, arguably because of how very intrinsically British they are.

Does it worry anybody else that programmes such as this are going to shape people's idea of Britain?

It reminds me of that old Alexei Sayle sketch where aliens land and, having received old television signals in space, walk around impersonating Tony Hancock.

I can just imagine Americans visiting London and asking the locals how their pussy is.

I cringe when I think other countries might be watching, say, the One Show, or the Jubilee coverage, or - God forbid - Boris or Cameron were to appear on US TV.

Boris and Cameron have been great adverts for Britain when appearing on US TV recently. Otherwise, people understand these are comedy programmes and reflect an essence of real-life (40 odd years ago in AYBS?'s case), with bags of heightened lunacy exactly the same as in their own domestic sitcoms.

Americans don't always appear the most culturally aware or geographically intelligent people on the planet, but let's give them some credit.

Besides, they're far more likely to think everyone knows the Queen.

I know, I'm just messin'.

However, Boris and Dave may well have performed well on US TV. But it's the gun owning capital of the world. I'm disappointed that they shot John Lennon, but when we send Boris and Dave over - not a scratch.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 18 2012, 3:02 PM BST

Does it worry anybody else that programmes such as this are going to shape people's idea of Britain?

Don't worry about that. We understand that comedies are not reality. That said, we are all very concerned about the constant attacks that you guys have to endure from Daleks and Cybermen.

Seriously though, I've had that exact same thought about shows like Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo and the other reality crap that we produce over here.

Honey...Boo Boo? I want to watch that based on the title alone

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 18 2012, 3:15 PM BST

I know, I'm just messin'.

However, Boris and Dave may well have performed well on US TV. But it's the gun owning capital of the world. I'm disappointed that they shot John Lennon, but when we send Boris and Dave over - not a scratch.

:) :) :)

Surely :) :) :) = :D or maybe :D + :)