Butterflies...Love is like a de da de... Page 3

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th January 2020, 7:41 PM

........"A Shakespeare in her way."

That's true as far as I'm concerned.I don't find his comedies funny either.:)

Oh dear or dear.

One wins some and one loses some.

She was very big on Viva who are saving the kangaroo.

Whatever we stick in our gobs, either we are a young vegan ethicist or we are decrepit down under, ain't we.

Just off for a munch of quinoa and a kiss on the lips in my wall tapestry of Sharon.

They are the biggest lip-glossed lump of hemp this side of Chelsea.

I don't know whether I've been told off or not.:)

This sitcom is take it or leave it. This style isn't for everyone I feel. I quite like it, nice story and I like the characters. It's pleasant. Although I do think the main cast was better in other sitcoms, I preferred Lyndhurst in OFAH and Goodnight Sweetheart, Palmer was better in As Time Goes By, Craig was better in Mother Makes Three/Five. Like I said, it's a nice sitcom, Sunday afternoon style. But it isn't for everyone.

It's very eclectic stylistically, it's like a midpoint between The Liver Birds and her 80s stuff.

Quote: jsg @ 5th August 2020, 8:18 PM

It's very eclectic stylistically, it's like a midpoint between The Liver Birds and her 80s stuff.

Never watched The Liver Birds so I can't comment, but I've watched Bread and the 2 things are different in terms of styles ect.

Quote: Wheel @ 5th August 2020, 8:24 PM

Never watched The Liver Birds so I can't comment, but I've watched Bread and the 2 things are different in terms of styles ect.

I was thinking more of Solo, it has a similar kind of pathos.

Incredibly popular though in its day, really, you'd be surprised how many tuned in to this if you saw it now without having heard too much about it. A sort of two sitcoms in one with its story of an affair on the side and the way it fluttered around from sitcom to comdram. I liked it as a whole but did wince a bit at her wispy daydream nonsense as I'm sure a lot of blokes did.

I thought the sitcommy humour with the four of them at home was surprisingly good at times but it did sea saw with her mopey spells. I think the fact it was different to the standard studio sitcom of the day made it fascinating to many. Then there is its famous narrative arc, a thing which every other sitcom is doing now, and I'm sick of. Not its fault, that it did it so well, but it probably has a lot to answer for. (Though I doubt most today's arc riddled sitcom writers realise that Butterflies was probably the main instigator of the trend.) Pirate

Quote: jsg @ 5th August 2020, 8:44 PM

I was thinking more of Solo, it has a similar kind of pathos.

Solo was Lane's wispiness unleashed. Again though, oddly watchable from the very little I remember of it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th August 2020, 11:58 PM

Solo was Lane's wispiness unleashed. Again though, oddly watchable from the very little I remember of it.

In my opinion it's her best work, I might be in the minority there though.

Few minutes late now but happy belated birthday to (the late) Carla Lane anyway.