Butterflies...Love is like a de da de...

Just been making my way through this late 70s early 80s sitcom. I'm now half way through the last series.

It is very good. I like Carla Lane's work. I also liked Wendy Craig's Nanny, and would like to see more of it released on DVD - as last time I checked it was only the first series out.

Butterflies has some very funny moments. Most memorable for me when I used to see it when I was a kid was the man across the road getting upset about their cars.

Noticed a difference in the fourth series though. Wendy Craig plays a less cheery Ria. And Nicholas Lyndhurst has changed a lot in appearance. He now looks a lot more like 'Rodney'. Then I see there was a three year gap between Series 3 and Series 4.

I see a lot of similarities between Butterflies and Bread: Ria contemplating an affair, Nellie contemplating an affair; repetition of dialogue; trying to manipulate at the social security office; women as caged slaves; people confused about their identity and what they want from life; hearing characters' inner thoughts; both Rita and Nellie meet their 'lovers' when walking in the park.

Although the gap between Series 3 and 4 is three years, in the story it is only meant to be six months. At the time this probably doesn't matter as people were watching the same time settings as they were experiencing. However, looking at it now it doesn't look right, as there is a sudden dramatic change to early 80s fashion in the 4th series.

Another similarity between Butterflies and Bread is that Ria is a lousy cook and in Bread Avilyne (sp?) is an awful cook.

This is being repeated on Yesterday, so I tuned in again expecting it to have dated. However, while the sets and language are indeed archaic, the comedy still seems fresh. Palmer and Craig are outstanding, but the one thing which surprised me was how Craig seemed like the wrong person to be saying all those passionate and subversive things; she just seems too nice to behave like that. However, that just goes to make it even more interesting.

I was never keen on this sitcom.

Not for everyone, you either like this kind of thing in sitcom or you don't. I did like this, thought it was easily CL's best sitcom. When she went for a full out comedy style sitcom in Bread I hated it very much. So this was her thing, a wispy, airy sitcom style with a nice story arc that suits the subject.

Heading Out should have been like this or Solo instead of the chosen Spaced with comedy film references, because now SP's story is lost. CL showed how to correctly do the 'confused and flaky female on a journey theme'. Butterflies is a big success in my book, whether you laugh at it much or not.

You do know Bread and Butterflies were written by Carla Lane so that's why they're similar. But a very underrated sitcom to be fair.

Edited by Aaron - grammar, capitalisation.

Couldn't stand this show

It seemed to be endless scenes of someone sat on a park bench philosophising about life and love and yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Carla Lane loves all that guff

Tedious

I respect your opinion lofthouse. The last series lacked a bit to be fair.

Quote: lofthouse @ March 24 2013, 11:51 AM GMT

Couldn't stand this show

It seemed to be endless scenes of someone sat on a park bench philosophising about life and love and yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Carla Lane loves all that guff

Tedious

You're one of the ones who didn't like it aren't you.

It wasn't for everyone, but this was quite new in sitcom at the time, it expanded the genre and proved there was a market for this more thoughtful/emotional stuff. I remember Butterflies to be incredibly popular. Hence why it was brought back for a final series.

Huge demand for a conclusion to the story, I think more or at less at the same time as To The Manor Born was doing the same, a thing which between them I believe inspired the mega successful story arc coffee ads.

I didn't watch it to laugh myself silly, I watched other sitcoms for that, this was a change from the usual, while still being a definite sitcom. The earlier series are pretty sitcommy, especially the bits at home.

Despite having been fond of Nanny for reasons that I no longer recall, I found Butterflies nigh on unwatchable. Still remember the theme song though. Couldn't stomach Bread either.

I quite liked the theme song actually.

Quote: David Smith @ March 24 2013, 6:47 PM GMT

I have to take issue over the way it is given in the thread title . . .

Shouldn't it be Love is like a da de da ?

Yeah.

In fact it is 'Love is like a Butterfly'.

'Love is like a butterfly, rare and gentle as a sigh;
The multi-colour moods of love are like its satin wings;
Love makes your heart feel strange inside, it flutters like soft wings in flight; Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing. Love is like a butterfly, a rare... a gentle... thing! (Love is like a butterfly..)

Quote: David Smith @ March 24 2013, 11:41 AM GMT

You do know Bread and Butterflies were written by Carla Lane so that's why they're similar. But a very underrated sitcom to be fair.

Edited by Aaron - grammar, capitalisation.

Um - I think that's why he's comparing them!

Quote: David Smith @ March 24 2013, 6:47 PM GMT

I don't think at the time I was aware it was a Dolly Parton song. Anyone know who sang it?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 24 2013, 10:12 AM GMT

Not for everyone, you either like this kind of thing in sitcom or you don't. I did like this, thought it was easily CL's best sitcom. When she went for a full out comedy style sitcom in Bread I hated it very much. So this was her thing, a wispy, airy sitcom style with a nice story arc that suits the subject.

I enjoyed it. Ria was like the older woman you fancied and you wanted to give her a big hug. (Not a euphemism).

Still felt sorry for her husband who did love her in his way.

Whatever happened to Leonard?
Was he ever in anything else?