The general pop/rock - music thread Page 7

Quote: Lazzard @ October 21 2012, 11:10 PM BST

Not punk bands, though.

The Saints - an aussie outfit, were pretty pure when they started.

New wave I know, but I just love them

Quote: Pingl @ October 21 2012, 11:16 PM BST

New wave I know, but I just love them

Couldn't agree more.
Punk itself was actually very short-lived - barely a year.
It's repercussions though....

Quote: Lazzard @ October 21 2012, 11:18 PM BST

Couldn't agree more.
Punk itself was actually very short-lived - barely a year.
It's repercussions though....

I disagree there. Especially as there are new punk bands being formed now.

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2012, 11:23 PM BST

But you have got to say the do it yourself approach of punk brought rock back to its roots, leading to loads of bands just going out and playing. It did pop the pomp of prog and cleared the air.

...and it paved the way for 80s American Indie/Alternative scene with great bands such as Hüsker Dü, Pixies, The Replacements and early R.E.M...who then influenced 90s bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Pavement and so on.
I mean, punk was a media creation. Ramones and Sex Pistols shook the (music) world and the media and record industry labelled it as "Punk" and decided that is is cooler and better than anything else. Some acts were really great, others were crappy free riders. but it defenitely changed the perception of how music can be created i.e. you don't have to be a masterful wanker on your instrument like Keith Emerson or a near angelic singer Stevie Nicks. Do what you want and do it how you want it to...but do it with passion. And that approach influenced many (music) generations to come. But I could do without this fun punk crap of the 90s and 00s (Sum 41, Blink 182...andGreen Day to a certain extent).

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2012, 11:23 PM BST

I mean before punk morphed into New Wave. Powerpop etc.
Punk was never a musical style.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 22 2012, 9:33 AM BST

Punk was never a musical style.

Exactly. As Mick Jones said in an interview, that "punk" was initially the ability or freedom to do everything you want. This is exactly what the Clash did from album 3 on: R&B, Rockabilly, Reggae, Soul...you name it they played it. But media labelled that what they thought the "new big thing" is all about with the word "punk" and gave it a musical (loud and amateurish) and visual pattern (i.e. Johnny Rotten).

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2012, 10:17 PM BST

I loved Bowie, Costello, New Order, Yes, Santana, Curved Air, Free (I'm not being one of those smartarses but Alright Now - although it introduced them to me - is one of my least favourite tracks of theirs.), Faces, Family, Killers, Imelda May Teardrop Explodes, Echo & the Bunnymen, Blondie, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Love, Small Faces, Supertramp, Bebop Deluxe... the list goes on. I hope this gives you an idea of my tastes but my favourite genre in Blues - R & B as it used to be in the 1960s.

You're much like me. Some of my friends don't understand how I can love a Yes song and a sex Pistols song at the same time. But you have pick the best out of all worlds. And like you my true love lies in the blues (rock). So, on a desert island or in a nuclear fall out shelter it has to be Bo Diddley, Howlin' Wolf , Stones, Faces and the great Allman Brothers for me. And when the radiation is back at an acceptable level again I can listen to Bowie, Clash and Van dDer Graaf Generator again.

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2012, 10:17 PM BST

"R & B" as it used to be in the 1960s.

They took this once great label and put it on this auto-tuned, hip hop-infested photoshopped video-clip travesty. They could take the label "bluesrock" next and put it onto Jedward. Teary

If its good I like it. I like all genres, rock, folk, country, I don't care. One minute I'm listening to the faces, the next Fairport Convention, the next Willie Nelson. I just pick what I like and listen. I have no snobbery if I like a Will Young song I like it. I must say though that most modern mainstream music leaves me cold, and since Amy Whinehouse not much has impressed me, why listen to Chas and Dave when you can listen to Mozart. However, Chas and Daves Aint no Pleasing You is a work of wonder.

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 11:35 AM BST

why listen to Chas and Dave when you can listen to Mozart. However, Chas and Daves Aint no Pleasing You is a work of wonder.

I heard their Margate song in "The Jolly Boys Outing" and I liked it. So I had to buy a best of:

A guilty pleasure

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 11:35 AM BST

I must say though that most modern mainstream music leaves me cold, and since Amy Whinehouse not much has impressed me

Same here. It's not to say that I'm not trying to be open...but as you say, most of it leaves me cold.

But Strokes, Kings Of Leon, the first by Interpol and some electro stuff do it for me though.

But as Zooo pointed it out earlier, most of the charts stuff is calculated showbiz shite and doesn't deserve more attention than 10 seconds. You have to look for good new music elswhere...

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 22 2012, 11:18 AM BST

They took this once great label and put it on this auto-tuned, hip hop-infested photoshopped video-clip travesty. They could take the label "bluesrock" next and put it onto Jedward. Teary

They did the same with Garage - which used to be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3pP29N-Wc

and is now this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnSVPz4XrW8&feature=related

(NB. the first ten seconds of this should give you the general picture.)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 22 2012, 11:41 AM BST

But as Zooo pointed it out earlier, most of the charts stuff is calculated showbiz shite and doesn't deserve more attention than 10 seconds. You have to look for good new music elswhere...

Always did.
Just check the charts out in those 'golden years'!

Quote: Lazzard @ October 22 2012, 11:44 AM BST

and is now this:

Always did.

Yeah, and it's completely arbitrary. They don't have enough balls to give these new things new names. I mean...the whole fun punk thing...listen to it if you want (I don't) but don't call it punk. That's just misleading.
Don't call it "R & B"...call it "J Lo, Beyonce and Rihanna wiggle their butts to pro tools sound and featured rappers" or anything you like.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 22 2012, 11:44 AM BST

and is now this:

Always did.

Yea the charts have always been full of shit, especially in the seventies, it was novelty hell. You always had to look beyond and dig a little to find the nuggets.

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 11:52 AM BST

Yea the charts have always been full of shit, especially in the seventies, it was novelty hell. You always had to look beyond and dig a little to find the nuggets.

Yes, but you always had two or three good titles in the top ten. Between all the Pat Boone's and Twiggie's there was always a fair share of Zeppelins and Bowies.

A few weeks ago I accidently stubled over the German top ten in the videotext. I couldn't even understand it. I'm not sure anymore if it was the charts or a computer programme. It read like this.

1. X-Mobb vs. Cro feat DMX
2. J Lo feat X4 Sexxx

what is this crap??? Laughing out loud

And in the seventies you didn't have this American Idol or Britain's Got Retards stuff that soils the charts nowadays.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 22 2012, 12:01 PM BST

Yes, but you always had two or three good titles in the top ten. Between all the Pat Boone's and Twiggie's there was always a fair share of Zeppelins and Bowies.

A few weeks ago I accidently stubled over the German top ten in the videotext. I couldn't even understand it. I'm not sure anymore if it was the charts or a computer programme. It read like this.

1. X-Mobb vs. Cro feat DMX
2. J Lo feat X4 Sexxx

what is this crap??? Laughing out loud

And in the seventies you didn't have this American Idol or Britain's Got Retards stuff that soils the charts nowadays.

No but you had stables of crap, Micky Most, Jonathon King etc that churned out bilge on an industrial scale. believe me we had it hard in the seventies, Opportunity knocks, new faces, people only remember the good ones, not the crap that regularly populated these shows, the Dooleys anyone?

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 12:05 PM BST

No but you had stables of crap, Micky Most, Jonathon King etc that churned out bilge on an industrial scale. believe me we had it hard in the seventies, Opportunity knocks, new faces, people only remember the good ones, not the crap that regularly populated these shows, the Dooleys anyone?

I think Jonathan King produced the first Genesis album.