The general pop/rock - music thread Page 5

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ October 20 2012, 7:21 PM BST

I think Prog rock was bogus, it was made up of asthmatics who couldn't reach Heavy Rock notes and the rest were art school students who smoked Tofu.

That pretty much sums up the Canterbury Scene. It's no wonder they preferred doing instrumentals when their voices were so weak.

Quote: Pingl @ October 20 2012, 7:47 PM BST

The problem with prog is that it became so bloated that punk had to be invented to pop its pomp. Some of it I love some of it I can't stand. Funnily enough the same is true of Punk. But I do remember until punk came along things were getting pretty stale

It wasn't as direct as that.
Pub rock developed as an antidote/antitheses to what was becoming staduim rock ie enourmous gigs with lasers and shit. They were reacting more against the likes of ELO than prog which had kind petered out as most of them drifted into jazz and pseudo-classical bollocks.
Kids suddenly had a chance of seeing loud music being played,close-up at small gigs - and fancied some of it themselves.
Not having the classic R'n B canon as a refereence point( which is where a lot of the pub rockers got their inspiration), they made up their own stuff.

Quote: Nogget @ October 21 2012, 8:01 AM BST

That pretty much sums up the Canterbury Scene. It's no wonder they preferred doing instrumentals when their voices were so weak.

Woah - don't dis Canterbury! Caravan's In The Land of Grey and Pink is a stonewall classic album.

Has anyone an opinion on the new KISS album?
I think it was a good decision to strip down their sound and go back to their rock n roll roots, even if the sound is now a little bit harder than during their glory days of the 70s.
Still, nothing new on the lyrics front. 60 year old men who sound like dumb, drunken teenagers in heat.

KISS seem like an American thing that didn't really catch on over here.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 21 2012, 5:52 PM BST

KISS seem like an American thing that didn't really catch on over here.

Grand Funk Railroad with make-up...and even dumber lyrics.

kiss - to gimmicky not really music, just a lot of makeup and pyrotechnics

Waiiit a minute! Listen to the first Kiss album and you'll see that is some of the best ersatz-Rolling Stones you can get...with showbiz-glitsch, make up and pyrotechnics of course. But after three albums or so they forgot how to write songs.
But you're right...they were always more about pure entertainment than music. and the lyrics were always embarassing.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 21 2012, 6:18 PM BST

Waiiit a minute! Listen to the first Kiss album and you'll see that is some of the best ersatz-Rolling Stones you can get...with showbiz-glitsch, make up and pyrotechnics of course. But after three albums or so they forgot how to write songs.
But you're right...they were always more about pure entertainment than music. and the lyrics were always embarassing.

Especially when they attempted a ballad

What really surprised me was the last Van Halen album. I've given up all hope and even the return of DL Roth did not excite me...but the new album is easily the best since his departure in 1984.

I always liked Roth, his version of California Girls is still a favourite, and I don't like people messing with Beach Boys songs - I'm looking at you Bowie, God Only Knows why!

Quote: Pingl @ October 21 2012, 6:30 PM BST

I always liked Roth, his version of California Girls is still a favourite, and I don't like people messing with Beach Boys songs - I'm looking at you Bowie, God Only Knows why!

Roth added his glamour-fun-factor to that song which fits it.

That's why Van Halen and Roth works for me. The guitar sound and rhythm section of Van Halen is heavy and plodding which is cool and Roth adds a bit of glamourous easiness to it which makes a hot combination. With sammy Hagar Van Halen were just plodding.

1984 is a great album

But getting back to punk

Any of you old f**kers - recommend me some good British old school punk albums

I've got all the usual suspects

Tell me about any obscure band/album I may have missed

Interesting the early queen albums don't get a mention here.
Queen II is majestically loud, multi layers and has the delightful Fairy Fellers Masterstroke which is based on a painting .

Maybe I know only the usual suspects. But there are some American old school punk albums I'd reccomend: "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell & The Voidoids, "Young, Loud & Snotty" by the Dead Boys and the early albums by Pere Ubu.