The general pop/rock - music thread Page 4

The Lamb Lies Down made no sense, Trick of the Tail does it for me.
I think Prog rock was bogus, it was made up of asthmatics who couldn't reach Heavy Rock notes and the rest were art school students who smoked Tofu.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ October 20 2012, 7:21 PM BST

I think Prog rock was bogus, it was made up of asthmatics who couldn't reach Heavy Rock notes and the rest were art school students who smoked Tofu.

Tofu didn't they sing Africa?

You're thinking of Lynx.

Wasn't tofu the dog in wizard of oz?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ October 20 2012, 7:28 PM BST

You're thinking of Lynx.

Lynx? Didn't they sing Boat On A River?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ October 20 2012, 7:21 PM BST

I think many of them were classical trained musicians who weren't good enough for the real thing (i.e. opera, classical music) and not hip enough to do rock n roll. They wanted to show their teachers and the Presley crowd who's the boss. But anyway, some prog material is cool and beautiful. the riffs in Yes' "Roundabout" are good as anything in rock.

There is even some kind of prog renaissance going on at the moment with bands like The Mars Volta and Mastodon. Even the band names sound proggy. The also reintroduced the concept album to rock music.

The problem with prog is that it became so bloated that punk had to be invented to pop its pomp. Some of it I love some of it I can't stand. Funnily enough the same is true of Punk. But I do remember until punk came along things were getting pretty stale

Yes (no pun intended), but it wasn't only prog's fault...bands such as Fleetwood Mac or Eagles weren't really exciting or cutting edge either. I agree that punk was necessary at that time. And it brought us really great stuff. And if you cross prog with punk you get early Talking Heads.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 20 2012, 7:53 PM BST

bands such as Fleetwood Mac or Eagles weren't really exciting or cutting edge either.

Rumours is a top album, though! Even if that's not a cool thing to say.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 20 2012, 8:15 PM BST

I'd prefer Rumours to every Michael Jackson album after Off The Wall...let alone to that shite on today's charts.

No expert on the while prog thing as I was about 5 at the time

Buy wasn't it a case that times were pretty hard and depressing at the time and the yoofs wanted music that meant something about their lives - not the life of Bilbo Bagins

Hence white riot, anarchy in the uk etc etc

Quote: lofthouse @ October 20 2012, 8:21 PM BST

Buy wasn't it a case that times were pretty hard and depressing at the time and the yoofs wanted music that meant something about their lives - not the life of Bilbo Bagins

Yes, that was also a factor. But of course it was also a (commercial) fashion wave. And Uk punks and american punks were pretty different. The Brits were more "let's tear down the barriers" style (Clash, Pistols) the Americans were a bit more relaxed (Ramones, Television, Richard Hell)...it's hard to tell. There were many different factors that made that punk "revolution" possible.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 20 2012, 1:08 PM BST

I'm too late, the elderly jism is flying around like a Dad's Army bukkake.

Would love to impose a rule that no one can talk about 'classic' pop / rock without naming at least one new song they liked in the last four years.

:(

"Oldrocker hands RC entry ticket and walks into thread . . http://www.youtube.com/user/davidguetta "

That is exactly what we felt. For me when I first saw the Jam live, very early in their career, I finally felt they were talking about my life. Two Tone and the Jam meant much more to me than punk. All my mates who were punks tended to be total dicks.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 20 2012, 8:15 PM BST

Go immediately and sit on the naughty step.

No expert on the while prog thing as I was about 5 at the time..

The term "progressive" rock didn't evolve until about 1970-71. Before that, everything was "underground" - ELP, Tull, Led Zep, Savoy Brown, Blodwyn Pig etc. If you didn't make hit singles, but had album success, you were defo "underground". Long nights of listening to Kid Jensen on Radio Luxembourg (who was the DJ for such stuff at the time, c. 1968) drilled that into my skull. It was oh so serious then, pretentious even, looking back in hindsight.

Oh how I hated my brothers Deep Purple in Rock Album!