The general pop/rock - music thread Page 3

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ October 20 2012, 2:55 PM BST

Prog friggin Rock? Ooh yes please!

That's progress for you ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 20 2012, 12:59 PM BST

So this doesn't turn into an old man circle jerk, with crusty out of touch mutha fudgers going on about Steppenwolf and the Isle of Wight Festival and prog friggin' rock, here be something a bit more modern.

I quite agree.

Now.. hmmm.. Grand Funk Railroad? Girls Aloud? Led Zep? Rylan?

Decisions decisions..

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2012, 1:37 PM BST

Lol, there's plenty of great music out there, you just can't be lazy. You have to go and look for it. If you expect to find great music in the charts then obviously you'll be disappointed.

Yep. The charts are full of Bieber-clowns and Idol-retards. But there are good bands out there. And these bands can be divided into two categories. The ones that sound like old/classic bands and the ones that are really cutting edge. I like both kinds but as zooo says, you have to go and look for them.
But I must admit that I'm a bit lazy so that I tend to think like...

Quote: lofthouse @ October 20 2012, 1:22 PM BST

Music , decent music, officially died around 1994

Dead

All dead

Anything made after that date isn't music - it's bollocks

...so that Pearl Jam has to be the last true great rock band for me. Any act that's younger than Pearl Jam, Prodigy or Beck has a hard time convincing me of his/her/their art.

That.

A few days ago, Marc Riley played a Genesis track on his 7 o'clock show and said he'd get complaints but that he didn't care. It's bizarre that there is still such a reactionary audience against prog, but full marks to him for ignoring them.

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2012, 5:29 PM BST

A few days ago, Marc Riley played a Genesis track on his 7 o'clock show and said he'd get complaints but that he didn't care. It's bizarre that there is still such a reactionary audience against prog, but full marks to him for ignoring them.

I wonder which Genesis song he played that day. Some people think that prog isn't cool because it's head music instead of pelvis music and therefore not real rock n roll.

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2012, 5:29 PM BST

The best of prog is brilliant, but some of it is total tosh. I'm afraid many people associate it with trolls and hobits and general rubbish. Personally I'm going to stick on Rick Wakeman's journey to the centre of the earth and wallow.

Unless it's not arrogant self indulgent prog without any warmth this argument doesn't count for me. Good music is good music. Full stop.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 20 2012, 5:34 PM BST

Unless it's not arrogant self indulgent prog without any warmth this argument doesn't count for me. Good music is good music. Full stop.

Yes there's crap in every genre and Prog is slowly recovering some repectability.

Quote: Pingl @ October 20 2012, 5:33 PM BST

The best of prog is brilliant, but some of it is total tosh. I'm afraid many people associate it with trolls and hobits and general rubbish. Personally I'm going to stick on Rick Wakeman's journey to the centre of the earth and wallow.

Some prog can be just wankery (or wanking?) then I dismiss it too..

Quote: Pingl @ October 20 2012, 5:33 PM BST

Personally I'm going to stick on Rick Wakeman's journey to the centre of the earth and wallow.

What's got into Rick Wakeman to participate on Wachtdog and Mastermind???? This is not very Rock n Roll!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 20 2012, 5:40 PM BST

Some prog can be just wankery (or wanking?) then I dismiss it too..

What's got into Rick Wakeman to participate on Wachtdog and Mastermind???? This is not very Rock n Roll!

Rick fancies himself as something of a comic, and to be fair he is quite funny. He's a massive Dad's Army fan and his book grumpy old rock star is a good read. He'll go on anything, and he's always good value.

In Yes he was the only boozer and anti-vegetarian...

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 20 2012, 5:52 PM BST

In Yes he was the only boozer and anti-vegetarian...

Used to eat curry on stage. He the Man!

Some of my favourite classic prog albums:

Yes: "The Yes Album"
Pink Floyd: "Atom Heart Mother", "The Wall"
King Crimson: "In The Court...", "Red", "The Power To Believe"
Jethro Tull: "Aqualung"
Procol Harum: "Grand Hotel", "A Salty Dog"
Genesis: "Foxtrot", "The Lamb...", "A Trick Of The Tail"
Moody Blues: "In Search Of..."
Roxy Music: "Country Life"

Recent rock/pop stuff I've been listening to the most incluude the new Ultrasound album 'Play For Today', Amanda Palmer's 'Theatre is Evil' and Sharon Van Etten's 'Tramp',

As for the Stones, Exile On Main Street and Let It Bleed are my favourites.

But my fave 60s/70s rock band has to be The Who. Loud, creative and often odd.

Interesting TV profile of Dave Davis on BBC4 last week, where he explained how he came up with the guitar sound for 'You've Really Got Me' (when he was 17!). Apparently he took a knife and sliced up the speaker cone.