The general pop/rock - music thread Page 185

The critics are destroying the Spice gig, but what were they expecting? Bob Dylan lyrics... Hendrix fretwork from Baby... Pavarotti vocals from Ginge? It's the Spice Girls.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th May 2019, 10:18 AM

The critics are destroying the Spice gig, but what were they expecting? Bob Dylan lyrics... Hendrix fretwork from Baby... Pavarotti vocals from Ginge? It's the Spice Girls.

And they can't hear the singing so what's the problem?

Wilco are coming off a year+ hiatus and will be streaming tonight's show from Amsterdam at 7:30 PM UK time. Hopefully it'll be viewable on that side of the Atlantic.

Quote: DaButt @ 16th June 2019, 2:38 PM

Wilco are coming off a year+ hiatus

I always get my toiletries from them. Much cheaper.

Actually I've got tickets to see Wilko in Margate later this year.

Incidentally saw Madnes last night outdoors at Kenwood House. Chris Difford supported along with Steve Naive and he was an interesting story teller as well as a singer and writer of great pop songs. Pissing with rain though.

Anyway Madness came on and did a great show.

Apparently all that easy listening music we had in the the 70's (eg: Doobies,Hall and Oates) is now called Yacht Rock.

Even I laughed at Adele's suggestion she'd play with the Spice Girls. I mean, that perfect vocal technique, the intelligent but emotive lyricism, that acclaimed stage presence - next to Adele? Oh please.

My this week's Saturday flea market purchases:

Lots of 70s British and American guitar rock (except for Van The Man):

Charge - Paladin
Hard Attack - Dust
A Period Of Transition - Van Morrison
Fuzzy Duck - Fuzzy Duck
One Live Badger - Badger
Flirtin' With Disaster Live - Molly Hatchet

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th June 2019, 7:36 PM

My this week's Saturday flea market purchases:

Lots of 70s British and American guitar rock (except for Van The Man):

Charge - Paladin
Hard Attack - Dust
A Period Of Transition - Van Morrison
Fuzzy Duck - Fuzzy Duck
One Live Badger - Badger
Flirtin' With Disaster Live - Molly Hatchet

What's the live Badger one like? I have to admit that the only ones I've seen are dead along the side of the road.

Actually being serious because I know they're a Yes offshoot.

Just bought a few of my own today including Four Tops greatest hits volume 2. So many hits and Levi had such an incredible voice.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2019, 6:26 PM

What's the live Badger one like? I have to admit that the only ones I've seen are dead along the side of the road.

Actually being serious because I know they're a Yes offshoot.

It's a terrific, powerful rock album. Very recommendable.
I was looking for it for years. I had their song 'Wind of Change' on a sampler called 'Affirmative: The Yes Solo Family Album'* and liked it a lot. A few years later One Life Badger was reissued on CD. i saw it a few times in my local record store but I didn't want to pay the full price. Luckily I found it dirt cheap at the flea market on Saturday. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRiEHm-rO0

*A good starting point to discover the Solo works of the Yes members. I bought solo albums by Chris Squire, Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman since then...and the Badger one.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2019, 6:26 PM

Just bought a few of my own today including Four Tops greatest hits volume 2. So many hits and Levi had such an incredible voice.

I have the two disc sampler 'Gold'. True, they had many many great songs...sadly their late 80s hit 'Loco In Acapulco isn't on it.

A Poll/thread of interest to DB, Gordon, and possibly john t.

What do you think is Wilco's best song?

https://rateyourmusic.com/board_message?message_id=7347117

Quote: George Kaplan @ 2nd July 2019, 2:18 PM

What do you think is Wilco's best song?

https://rateyourmusic.com/board_message?message_id=7347117

Side With The Seeds...from my favourite album Sky Blue Sky.

What am I, chopped liver? I'm probably the biggest Wilco fan here.* :) I've seen them about 40 times. Lately, I'm partial to Art of Almost and One Sunday Morning.

*My friend plays in the band, so I'm rather biased in some respects.

I'm going to see Wilko in September.

Oh sorry = Wilco! I know nothing about them.

Incidentally I saw the B52s on Sunday and was amazed to learn that Kate Pierson is 71. Amazing energy!

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd July 2019, 4:57 PM

What am I, chopped liver? I'm probably the biggest Wilco fan here.* :) I've seen them about 40 times. Lately, I'm partial to Art of Almost and One Sunday Morning.

*My friend plays in the band, so I'm rather biased in some respects.

DB = DaButt :)