The general pop/rock - music thread Page 154

Quote: Chappers @ 5th July 2017, 11:52 PM

Was that a spelling mistake?

That's what I was thinking at first...but the "u" and the "l" are there.

Looks like that kind of symbol young women would get as a tattoo right above their arses in the late 90's.

[quote name="Gordon Bennett" post="1176550" date="5th July 2017, 7:10 PM"]Not a laminated pass this time but this nice sticker:

Good to see The Lad himself in the blurred background. This man has taste. :)

HOW TO WRITE A NEW ORDER ARTICLE
1. Say 'They rose from the ashes of JD.' Most NO fans have been interested since the 80s so this will surely be a revelation.
2. Describe 'The Other Two' moniker as 'self-effacing' and explain what it means. There's no way we'd've worked it out in just 25 years... Do not mention Revenge. They are shit.
3. Demonstrate they are 'endlessly self-reinventing, enduringly influential and mre relevant now than ever before'by name-checking a song they wrote in 82 and even that was stolen off Kraftwank.
4. Go home.

Hookie was and is a bloody great bass player.

I like the scene in Lemmy when Peter Hook says he was pissed off when he discovered a band on before New Order hadn't reset the mixing desk levels which was bad band etiquette but when he was told the band was Motorhead he plugged his bass in to Lemmy's channel to see what it would sound like and he said he sounded shit :D

The neighbor lady just called and asked if I could speak with her outside ASAP. I was expecting some sort of drama, but she just asked if I wanted to see Hall & Oates and Tears for Fears with her tomorrow. So my calendar is booked for the evening...

While the Beatles continue to inspire, Paul McCartney's position as solo artiste remains insecure. After repeated, objective listenings to his post-1970 output, I would - sadly - challenge it on the following grounds:
1. It does tend to overt sentimentality, an aspect Lennon surely held in check. John's barbed wit was the perfect foil to McCartney's mawkishness, but more importantly, simply through existing, John stimulated his partner to ever greater achievements. Paul himself commented, 'John threw down 'Strawberry Fields' as a kind of gauntlet, so I responded with 'Penny Lane'. Later collaborations with Elvis Costello and Jaz Coleman suggest McCartney's talent may be more suited to work in tandem.
2. It suffers from a lack of discipline. In a private letter, Ernest Hemingway wrote he needed 91 pages of mediocrity to hit that one page of masterpiece: fine, as long as said page hits the public and the rest hit the bin. Paul has a habit of - and I do so hate to use clichés, certainly in a Beatle context, but - prizing quantity over quality.
3. It is total and utter f**king shit. F**k you, Paul.

Michael you make some fair points, but I would contest your last sentence. How do you explain Paul McCartney outselling John Lennon by a country mile. In fact if you combine his solo career with Wings and the Beatles he has outsold everyone in the world, ever (at a guess) . He has had more everything than absolutely everyone. He was the force behind Let it Be and Yesterday. Much of the innovation came from him, such as Sergeant Peppers, the first concept Album etc...

Personally I think he was good a being current (e.g. his recent hit with Kanye West) and hence some of his work has not aged well at all. Sure he's not uber cool like Lennon, but does that matter at our age ? Wings was the biggest selling band in the UK for the entire 1970 decade. And Band on the Run got great reviews. Live and Let Die and Jet are of similar standing to any Beatles song. His Christmas song outplays Lennon's and he also seams quit a nice chap for a mega star. Love him or hate him, you can't discount him (yes I know Wings was often in the discounted bin at HMV, but that's not the point). That said, I prefer Pink Floyd, they had inflatable pigs.

Quote: DaButt @ 13th July 2017, 3:41 AM

The neighbor lady just called and asked if I could speak with her outside ASAP. I was expecting some sort of drama, but she just asked if I wanted to see Hall & Oates and Tears for Fears with her tomorrow. So my calendar is booked for the evening...

Hall and Oates are bloody expensive - as is Joe Bonamasso.

Next weekend I'm going to Ealing Blues Festival with the Blockheads headlining for a fiver.

Quote: DaButt @ 13th July 2017, 3:41 AM

Is it a date? :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 13th July 2017, 8:44 PM

Is it a date? :)

I'm sure her husband hopes that it isn't. :)

But we also have a teenage driver, so the beers will be flowing!

Quote: DaButt @ 13th July 2017, 9:25 PM

I'm sure her husband hopes that it isn't. :)

But we also have a teenage driver, so the beers will be flowing!

:D

These argguments run like my tackle in Mel C's Hits DVD, and no one cares what I think anyway, but...

Quote: Firkin @ 13th July 2017, 7:08 PM

Paul McCartney outselling John Lennon by a country mile.

Success does not equal quality. 'The Sun' sells more than 'The Bell Jar'.

Sergeant Peppers, the first concept Album etc...

I always had a prob with Pepper. It's often considered the greatest Beatles album (sometimes without the word Beatles) and the first concept LP, but 1. The individual songs aren't the best. Lennon didn't peak with Mr Kite or McCartney with Fixing a Hole, and even George's contribution is boring, hence (by his own admission) the laughter at the end. 2. The concept bit is like me - it doesn't really wash: 'We're SPLHCB, we hope you'll enjoy the show... We're SPLHCB, we hope you enjoyed the show.' Not exactly Tommy. The songs don't feel like part of an arc and John (not Ringo) said he was never into concept albums.

Personally I think he was good a being current (e.g. his recent hit with Kanye West)

Ouch! An ex-Beatle standing BEHIND Kayne West... Saddest moment of my life.
(People said when Mel C got married, were you sad? No, because it makes no difference to the probability of me and Mel C.)

Band on the Run got great reviews.

Great album.

His Christmas song outplays Lennon's.

I would actually use their Christmas songs as a perfect example of how John surpasses Paul. Mind you, the greatest Christmas song ever is the Spice Girls' 'Sleigh Ride': who could top that? www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J304LesZjA

he also seams quit a nice chap for a mega star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPUeB2ZqQU

http://itsgoneviral.com/liam-gallagher-steve-coogan/

So, stardom in America would have turned Liam into a c**t...:D