The general pop/rock - music thread Page 153

I have just finished watching acclaimed 2007 documentary 'Joy Division'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Just how much more wonga do these ''''''''''staunchly anti-commercial'''''''''' Mancs wanna suck from this poor sod's corpse? 'Yeah, in February 1979 we went to't chippie and Ian put mayonnaise on his chips. This was a bold and innovative move cos the rest of us just put salt and vinegar like, and it shows what a strong-willed and creative genius he was. Also the mayo cooled the chips, just as Ian's soul was a firey torment of turmoil and terror so he needed this soothing balm as anatoraxia, yet paradoxically it was white and cold like the barren emptiness he felt within. It was this ying and yang - yearning for Plathian passion but ricocheting against Bergmanian barriers - that created Curtis the artist but destroyed Ian the human being. Then he went home and bonked this Belgian journo he fancied.'

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2017, 4:25 PM

Hunting around I found this - a very underrated 60s British Band.

The Alan Bown. Just about remember them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5To7xMbX74

Never heard of them. The song sounds like a Supremes cover. The bloke with the trumpet must have been the inspiration to Madness' stage persona.
:D

A long way ahead I know!

The Damned 'Evil Spirits' 2018 UK Tour Dates:
26 January Newcastle O2 Academy
27 January Dundee Caird Hall
28 January Glasgow O2 Academy
30 January Leeds O2 Academy Leeds
31 January Manchester Academy 1
1 February Birmingham O2 Academy
3 February Leicester O2 Academy
4 February Nottingham Rock City
6 February Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall
7 February Southend Cliffs Pavilion
9 February Cardiff Great Hall
10 February Bristol O2 Academy Bristol
11 February Bournemouth O2 Academy
13 February Southampton O2 Guildhall
14 February Bexhill De La Warr Pavilion
17 February London O2 Forum

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st July 2017, 5:17 PM

I have just finished watching acclaimed 2007 documentary 'Joy Division'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Just how much more wonga do these ''''''''''staunchly anti-commercial'''''''''' Mancs wanna suck from this poor sod's corpse? 'Yeah, in February 1979 we went to't chippie and Ian put mayonnaise on his chips. This was a bold and innovative move cos the rest of us just put salt and vinegar like, and it shows what a strong-willed and creative genius he was. Also the mayo cooled the chips, just as Ian's soul was a firey torment of turmoil and terror so he needed this soothing balm as anatoraxia, yet paradoxically it was white and cold like the barren emptiness he felt within. It was this ying and yang - yearning for Plathian passion but ricocheting against Bergmanian barriers - that created Curtis the artist but destroyed Ian the human being. Then he went home and bonked this Belgian journo he fancied.'

Hahahahahaha....Joy Division-overrated crap, nothing more than a new wave/prog rock mutant lovechild (incorporating the worst of both genres). You only have to listen to "experts" like messrs Morley, Parsons and Anthony Haitch Wilson to realise the pretentiousness of this band. I'd rather listen to a best of by Scooch, a cheesy version of Steps.......

I'm in a strange position (that's what my mother said) cos I enjoy New Order but at the same time think they're massively overrated. I was a big fan in the early 90s but the NOStory documentary made me physically queasy: it summed up everything I despise about journalism, i.e. pretentious wank that tells you all about how awesome some writer is at playing with language and Sweet Fanny Adams about the actual music:
'The coolest group of all time.' Huh? Ever heard of the Beatles, the Stones or the Spice Girls?
'After Regret, anything can happen... (London) This is the beginning of a long relationahip.' Yup, let's rerererererererererererehash the 2-singles-a-year back catalogue for three years till Bernard makes an album for another label and it's still shit.
'Even on London, they could do whatever they liked.' - Bernard: 'We've done endless promotional work for London cos they view us as an investment.'
The line about Ian's death turned my stomach too. If I'd been through someone's suicide and an up-its-arse wanker journo told me 'It's cos he was caught on the jagged edge between the pleasaure and the pain of it all', I'd rip the f**ker's head off.
PS Mel C.

Went to see The Cult last night. It was a powerful gig!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th July 2017, 9:21 AM

Went to see The Cult last night. It was a powerful gig!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th June 2017, 3:43 PM

I'm going to a Blue Oyster Cult gig tonight. Queensryche are supporting act.

I'm sensing a pattern. :)

Now you just need to see Blue next (though I think they disbanded).

Are you going to more gigs these days?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 5th July 2017, 12:12 PM

I'm sensing a pattern. :)

Now you just need to see Blue next (though I think they disbanded).

Quote: George Kaplan @ 5th July 2017, 12:12 PM

Are you going to more gigs these days?

Yes and no. My best mate is a journalist. He's mostly reporting on sports events but they sometimes send him to rock concerts as well. This specific concert venue still gives away two free tickets, one for the journalist and one for the photographer probably not realizing that most news agencies have to save money these days, in other words: my mate has to take the photos by himself. So he usually takes me with him if it's a band I like...which is clearly the case with BOC, Queensryche and The Cult. Last year he took me to see Living Colour and Body Count. Concerts are so expensive these days, I rarely go to any I have to pay between 60 and 120 Swiss francs for, it has to be a special occasion or a band I very much care for. The last few bands I've paid for were the Stones, the Nits and Wilco. I'm going to see Nits again in August...again a free gig for me.

It was the second Cult gig for me. Last time was in the summer of 92'. Funny to see how the bandmembers and I have both grown old in the meantime. I have less hair than I used to, Astbury and Duffy both have beer guts these days. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBk61fPE4Yk

In the 1970s the band Blue included Hughie Nicholson and Jimmy McCulloch.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th July 2017, 2:21 PM

Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th July 2017, 2:21 PM

Yes and no. My best mate is a journalist. He's mostly reporting on sports events but they sometimes send him to rock concerts as well. This specific concert venue still gives away two free tickets, one for the journalist and one for the photographer probably not realizing that most news agencies have to save money these days, in other words: my mate has to take the photos by himself. So he usually takes me with him if it's a band I like...which is clearly the case with BOC, Queensryche and The Cult. Last year he took me to see Living Colour and Body Count. Concerts are so expensive these days, I rarely go to any I have to pay between 60 and 120 Swiss francs for, it has to be a special occasion or a band I very much care for. The last few bands I've paid for were the Stones, the Nits and Wilco. I'm going to see Nits again in August...again a free gig for me.

It was the second Cult gig for me. Last time was in the summer of 92'. Funny to see how the bandmembers and I have both grown old in the meantime. I have less hair than I used to, Astbury and Duffy both have beer guts these days. :D

You pick your friends wisely. :)

So do you get to stand in the photographers' pit/section, right up close? With a sexy special laminated pass dangling around your neck?

I have a Cult EP, Wild Flower, somewhere or other, bought at the time in the discount section.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th July 2017, 2:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBk61fPE4Yk

In the 1970s the band Blue included Hughie Nicholson and Jimmy McCulloch.

I reckon they'd be much more Gordon's cup of tea than the Boy Band version. I feel like I've seen that album cover in loads of charity shops/second-hand places at one time or another.

It is a good pop/rock album.

Later they joined Elton's Rocket label and had a hit called Capture your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sohtr25d8u8

Quote: George Kaplan @ 5th July 2017, 3:27 PM

So do you get to stand in the photographers' pit/section, right up close? With a sexy special laminated pass dangling around your neck?

Not a laminated pass this time but this nice sticker:

I was officially there as a "photographer". Tragic thing is: if someone asked me to take a photo of her or him I wouldn't even know how to switch on the bloody digital camera. :D

Quote: Chappers @ 5th July 2017, 6:29 PM

Haven't heard of them, must check them out! The song you posted earlier (Little Jodie) has a cool stonesey riff!

I think there was also a German band called Blue. They made Joshua Kadison type of music, only with lamer songwriting.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. They were called Orange Blue.
This is their biggest hit:

Quote: Chappers @ 5th July 2017, 6:29 PM

I preferred the rockier track, Little Jody. This one's more like Smokie.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th July 2017, 7:10 PM

I think there was also a German band called Blue. They made Joshua Kadison type of music, only with lamer songwriting.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. They were called Orange Blue.
This is their biggest hit:

I kept waiting for the woman in that video to pull out a Cadbury's Flake. :)

Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th July 2017, 7:10 PM

Not a laminated pass this time but this nice sticker:

]

Was that a spelling mistake?