The Writer's Prize Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ September 13 2012, 8:17 AM BST

Well it doesn't exactly 'do what it says on the tin' does it?

THE WRITERS PRIZE

There is no prize. If a writer meets the criteria below and sends us something brilliant and unique, they might get a full Radio 3 or Radio 4 Drama commission or a pilot commission for a Radio 4 Comedy.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing but I saw it as a bold attempt at irony.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 13 2012, 9:40 AM BST

Well I suppose the narrowing down to Radio at least gives it some sort of focus.

Yeah, and it does seem part of a more thought out plan in line with the rejigging of WR's rules. Seems like a sensible channelling off for new scripts instead of one massive general flow the readers take on blindly. My scripts have definitely had blind readers reading them.

And can we assume WR's going to reopen about the same time? I've been waiting for the date to be put up there.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 14 2012, 4:48 PM BST

I'm no expert on this sort of thing but I saw it as a bold attempt at irony.

Well don't f**king comment then. We only want people who know what they are talking abut on this forum. ;)

Well that will leave only you and that man in the mirror you carry around with you. Don't want you to get lonely here.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 14 2012, 4:48 PM BST

And can we assume WR's going to reopen about the same time? I've been waiting for the date to be put up there.

Yeah Script Room opens 21st September, the same day (unspecified time). The radio thing doesn't launch til 6pm though. Still reckon it's called a prize as there will be some sort of incentive, TV submissions must weigh Radio submissions by some ratio, might be trying to redress the balance by offering a prize in it.

I have to say, it wasn't until doing Newsjack that I realised how good writing for radio is. Slightly more challenging, but good.

All the information on the prize has now been revealed. There are forms you need to to fill in alongside your entry and the deadline for submissions is 9am on 3rd December. Winners will be contacted in January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/the-writers-prize

Don't forget that this is a 20th Century-style print out so the deadline is not really 3rd December (next Monday) as it relies on the postal system.

Dan

Luckily for me I've already sent my script off last week.

Well, I haven't finished writing mine, but I have already stamped the front 'Rejected' to assist their readers...

Dan

No chance for mine. Story's not nailed down and I've just imported it into Celtx only to discover it's about an hour long! Can't be arsed trying to get it into shape by the weekend. Mistake was to waste about 4 weeks on another idea that just wasn't working.

Ah well, I'm quite enjoying writing without a crushing deadline looming.

I've got my email aknowledgement today.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 11 2012, 5:43 PM GMT

I've got my email aknowledgement today.

Quote: Marc P @ September 13 2012, 8:17 AM BST

Well it doesn't exactly 'do what it says on the tin' does it?

Would Radio 3 readers understand this sentiment? I have to smile about a series on Radio 4 "based on the experiences of listeners". In episode 1, no doubt, there's a threat to granddaughter Jocasta winning the 'cello prize and Frances is accused of foiling the Townswomen's Guild's Bake Sale...

Just got my email rejection.

From a year ago?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 18 2013, 5:27 PM GMT

Just got my email rejection.

Me too :(