The Writer's Prize

The BBC is launching a new radio-writing scheme, covering both comedy and drama.

The Writer's Prize is open to a range of ideas and approaches from any writer, anywhere in the UK. It could be a 30 minute comedy for Radio 4, a studio sitcom recorded in front of an audience or a 45 or 60 minute drama for Radio 3 or 4. We are looking for original, multi-character narrative scripts for Radio (we are not looking for monologues, one man shows, stand-up routines or adaptations).

There is no single prize. If a writer meets the criteria below and sends us something brilliant and unique, they might get a full Radio 3 or Radio 4 Drama commission or a pilot commission for a Radio 4 Comedy.

The Writer's Prize is open to any writer as long as the work submitted is not currently in development or under consideration for development and has not previously been produced by any broadcaster or production company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/the-writers-prize-launch

Thank you ever so - will take a look at this.

Ian, did you find out about this from a WR newsletter?

No, via the Writers Room Twitter account.

Ah, ok. It's just that I never get the newsletters. I wondered if there had been another since I last checked the site.

Sounds great!

A sitcom I haven't touched for like 2 years might work on radio (originally written for TV), but not sure I should re-do that.

Writing a comedy for radio has been sort of in my head since I started submitting to NJ about 2 years ago. This thing here is just waving temptation in my face, ha.

I've got a drama idea that I'm retreading from about a year back; I had just started thinking about it again earlier today, so this couldn't have come at a better time.

Thanks for the share, Ian. :)

Well it doesn't exactly 'do what it says on the tin' does it?

THE WRITERS PRIZE

There is no prize. If a writer meets the criteria below and sends us something brilliant and unique, they might get a full Radio 3 or Radio 4 Drama commission or a pilot commission for a Radio 4 Comedy.

How is this diferent from Writers Womb?

I'm normally all for opportunities, but if you know some radio producers well enough, why wouldn't you send it directly to them rather than some writers' room reader who will read 10 pages of it but might not have the 'comedy' mindset of a producer? ie. you're giving yourself an additional hurdle to leap through.

Unless I'm not understanding this properly.

Dan

Well I suppose the narrowing down to Radio at least gives it some sort of focus.
Plus the fact they won't drag you off kicking and screaming to the set of EastEnders if you win.

Quote: swerytd @ September 13 2012, 9:36 AM BST

... if you know some radio producers well enough...

They obviously can't be getting enough good stuff via the usual channels.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 13 2012, 9:40 AM BST

Plus the fact they won't drag you off kicking and screaming to the set of EastEnders if you win.

Ah yes, a fate worse than lifelong IT consultancy...

Perhaps this is a kick up the bum to us non-comms with contacts to actually send to the radio producers who want stuff but don't want to be inundated with lots of stuff.

Cheers Lazza!

Dan

I have 0 contacts and can't afford an agent. So aside from sending into writers room when a window opens with 2000 other people, schemes and competitions (and open things like Newsjack) are my only way of trying to have something produced, TV or Radio.

Though this 'prize' is sounding more and more like just a normal submission window.

Yes, I understand, just wondering if having some contacts changed this somewhat.

Dan

Quote: Feeoree @ September 13 2012, 12:22 PM BST

... and can't afford an agent...

Well, technically, they don't cost anything 'till you actually earn something through them - but I get where you're coming from.
Even though I've got an agent, there are certain comps I will enter because it gets you in front of a different set of people.